Do the fundamental forces continue to break down at lower energies?

In summary: This is a huge issue in science that I don't think has been satisfactorily resolved. Thanks for the input.
middistance91
First off, I would like to apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong sub-forum.

Anyways, I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I am curious as to whether the 4 fundamental forces (electricity and magnetism, gravitation, strong, and weak) would theoretically continue to break down into other forces at lower energies.

I ask this because I read that at very very very high energies they are all manifestations of the same force, and at the beginning of the universe it was like this. As the energy dissipated, gravitation broke off, then the strong nuclear, then electricity and magnetism and the weak nuclear.

Are these 4 the most that it can go, or, at low energies, can they also break down into seemingly unrelated forces.

Once again, I am sorry if this is a no-brainer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert, so I might be wrong on this. But based on what I have read, if we do live in a false vacuum, and the vacuum were to decay into a lower energy vacuum then I believe that the answer would be yes. And if we didn't gain new forces I know for a fact that the values of the current forces that exist would change.

If a I wrong on this I hope that someone will correct me.

What you have asked is a very good question though.

Thanks for the reply. I am curious as to whether our assumptions are right?

Any other input?

Maybe Cosmology would have been better, but if someone feels strongly they'll move this...

I don't know for sure either about the four fundamental forces...I've never read anything specific...but I'd generally agree with the prior post.

In the big bang model, we gradually transition to the cold, empty state as matter density decreases, the universe expands and temperature drops as overall energy remains constant.
Total energy in the universe is constant, but it’s form is steadily evolving from a low entropy to a high entropy form. So I don'tknow of any expected change in the four forces.

We aren't even sure what caused the inflationary phase of the formation of the universe...the supposed phase transition from a high to a lower energy state fits but is not conclusive. A cyclic model also seems to make good sense...

Assumptions...models...are right when proven so by experimental verification...

I can assure you that this is not a no-brainer question at all. In fact, it is a very interesting and ongoing area of research in the field of particle physics. The short answer is that we currently do not know for certain if the fundamental forces continue to break down at lower energies.

The Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the behavior of the fundamental particles and their interactions, predicts that at very high energies, all four forces are unified into a single force. This is known as the Grand Unified Theory (GUT). However, as the universe cooled down after the Big Bang, this unified force broke into the four distinct forces that we observe today.

But the question remains, do these four forces continue to break down at even lower energies? Some theories suggest that at even lower energies, the four forces could break down further into more fundamental forces. These theories are known as Beyond the Standard Model (BSM) theories.

One example of a BSM theory is supersymmetry, which proposes the existence of a new set of particles that could help explain some of the unresolved questions in the Standard Model. Another example is string theory, which suggests that the fundamental particles are not point-like, but rather tiny strings vibrating in multiple dimensions.

However, these theories are still highly speculative and have yet to be experimentally confirmed. So, at this point, we cannot say for certain if the fundamental forces continue to break down at lower energies. More research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the nature of these forces and how they may behave at different energy levels.

In summary, your question is a valid and thought-provoking one, and it highlights the ongoing quest to understand the fundamental forces and their behavior. As scientists, we continue to explore and push the boundaries of our knowledge in this area, and who knows what new discoveries and insights may be waiting for us in the future.

1. What are the fundamental forces?

The fundamental forces are the four basic interactions that exist in nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces govern the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level.

2. How do the fundamental forces break down at lower energies?

The fundamental forces are described by different theories, and at lower energies, these theories start to overlap and become indistinguishable. This phenomenon is known as the "unification" of the fundamental forces.

3. Why is it important to study the breakdown of fundamental forces at lower energies?

Studying the breakdown of fundamental forces at lower energies can help us understand the fundamental laws of nature and potentially lead to a more unified theory that can explain all the forces in the universe.

4. What evidence do we have that the fundamental forces break down at lower energies?

One of the main pieces of evidence is the discovery of the Higgs boson, which is responsible for giving particles their mass. This discovery supports the idea of unification of the fundamental forces at lower energies.

5. How do scientists study the breakdown of fundamental forces at lower energies?

Scientists use high-energy particle accelerators to collide particles at very high speeds and energies. By analyzing the particles produced in these collisions, they can gather data and test theories about the breakdown of fundamental forces at lower energies.