Fundamental Forces: Electromagnetic, Gravity, Strong & Weak Interactions

In summary, the four fundamental forces are the electromagnetic force, gravity, strong and weak interactions. While we have a new theory, called Quantum Electrodynamics (QED), to explain the behavior of the Coulomb force, it is not considered similar to general relativity. String theory is a work in progress that aims to find a solution to the fundamental disagreements between quantum mechanics and general relativity, and there is also the concept of "quantum gravity" which treats gravity as a quantum mechanics force. At this point, gravity is understood differently from the other three forces.
Mayan Fung
As far as I know, we regard the electromagnetic force, gravity, strong and weak interactions as the four fundamental forces.

We know that Newton's law of gravitation does not perform as well as Einstein's general relativity. Scientists are now using energy-stress tensor to describe gravitational fields. Here comes my question: How do we interpret the other three forces? I am more familiar with the EM interaction. Let me focus on it.

When I first learn the Columb Force, my teacher told us that it behaves just like gravitation - both decay inverse squarely. Now, we have a new theory explaining gravity. Do we have a new theory for Columb force? I read some articles saying that string theory is trying to do this. My main concern is: do we find any inconsistency between experiments and our Columb Force theory, just like the case of Mercury's precession?

I look forward to your comments and opinions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Chan Pok Fung said:
As far as I know, we regard the electromagnetic force, gravity, strong and weak interactions as the four fundamental forces.
Yes.
Chan Pok Fung said:
When I first learn the Columb Force, my teacher told us that it behaves just like gravitation - both decay inverse squarely. Now, we have a new theory explaining gravity. Do we have a new theory for Columb force?
Hmm, yes and no :smile:, it's not a new theory. It is called Quantum Electrodynamics (QED). And it is not like general relativity.

See these links on HyperPhysics:
and, if you are interested
Chan Pok Fung said:
I read some articles saying that string theory is trying to do this.
Please note that there are no experimental evidence (yet) for string theory :wink:.

Likes Mayan Fung
Chan Pok Fung said:
When I first learn the Columb Force, my teacher told us that it behaves just like gravitation - both decay inverse squarely. Now, we have a new theory explaining gravity. Do we have a new theory for Columb force? I read some articles saying that string theory is trying to do this. My main concern is: do we find any inconsistency between experiments and our Columb Force theory, just like the case of Mercury's precession?
The comparison of the Coulomb force and gravity is for teaching purposes only - it's a handy analogy for givig students a loose feel for electrostatic forces. The two are not considered anything alike IRL.
At some point in those lessons, the analogy should break.

We understand the "other three" forces in terms of quantum mechanics and, specifically, field theory... in this picture, the forces are the result of interactions with fundamental particles whose behaviour is described using probability and statistics. The particles themselves appear as small fluctuations in the overall field.
We understand gravity as a pseudoforce arising from the geometry of space-time.

However - there are fundamental disagreements between quantum mechanics and general relativity which remain unsolved.
String theory is a work in progress that attempts to do this, or, at least, tries to find out what such a solution may look like.
You will also see references to "quantum gravity" which attempts to treat gravity like a quantum mechanics force.

Likes Mayan Fung
Wow, your comments are awesome! Can I say gravitation is somehow different from the other three forces?

At current state of knowledge it is fair to say that gravity is understood in a quite different way to the other forces.

Likes Mayan Fung

1. What are the four fundamental forces?

The four fundamental forces are electromagnetism, gravity, strong interaction, and weak interaction. These forces are responsible for all interactions and phenomena in the universe.

2. What is the role of electromagnetic force?

The electromagnetic force is responsible for interactions between electrically charged particles. It is the force that holds atoms together, allowing for the formation of molecules and the existence of matter.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force of attraction between objects with mass. The strength of the force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

4. What is the difference between strong and weak interactions?

The strong interaction is the force that holds atomic nuclei together. It is responsible for the stability of atoms and the energy produced by nuclear reactions. The weak interaction is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a role in the fusion processes that power the sun.

5. Can the fundamental forces be unified?

Scientists have been working on a theory of everything, or a unified theory that explains all four fundamental forces as different manifestations of a single force. However, this remains a topic of ongoing research and has not yet been fully achieved.