Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do the strings in String theory get energy to vibrate from Higgs?

Tags:
  1. Jul 26, 2014 #1
    Just as particles move through the theoretical Higgs field and gain energy which gives them mass, do the strings in String theory get their energy to vibrate from the Higgs Field as well? And does that mean that the Strings have mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2014 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Strings do not have mass. Instead, they are characterized by a quantity that is called "tension". Gravity and matter with mass, similar to the matter which we see in our universe, emerge from strings.

http://www.superstringtheory.com/basics/basic4.html

4. Jul 26, 2014 #3
    OK I expected that they wouldn't have mass and I know that their vibrations decide the amount of mass in particles but where does the energy come from to make the strings vibrate?

5. Jul 26, 2014 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

It is simply assumed that they have energy. The important thing is that energy is conserved.

6. Jul 26, 2014 #5
    So there is no explanation yet?

7. Jul 26, 2014 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Don't they define a squared mass for the string states, and so on get the predicted spectrum of the theory?
    I don't know, I don't really like the idea of "tension".

8. Jul 26, 2014 #7
    I agree, I think the question has no answer yet. Guess I just need to be patient.

9. Jul 26, 2014 #8

ChrisVer

Gold Member

The answer to your question is in general no.
    Although the Higgs mechanism can work on string theory (in order to break symmetries), the strings don't need the Higgs interaction to gain mass. Their mass is a result of their vibration modes.

10. Jul 26, 2014 #9
    And what makes the strings vibrate?

11. Jul 26, 2014 #10

ChrisVer

Gold Member

the fact that they are allowed to by the way you deal them- you allow them to vibrate with some boundary conditions.

12. Jul 26, 2014 #11
    So....is their Any theory to there vibrations or is it only assumed without an explanation.

13. Jul 26, 2014 #12

ChrisVer

Gold Member

no vibration is just one possibility out of the many you are allowed to have by accepting it. I don't understand what's your point. Non vibration would be for example a zero-th mode. The question would be more likely to ask yourself why you want to take just one case out of the infinite possibilities?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook