Do the strings in String theory get energy to vibrate from Higgs?

In summary: And what makes the strings vibrate?the fact that they are allowed to by the way you deal them- you allow them to vibrate with some boundary conditions.So...is their Any theory to there vibrations or is it only assumed without an explanation.no vibration is just one possibility out of the many you are allowed to have by accepting it.There is no one answer to this question. You are allowed to have any vibration mode you want as long as you accept the boundary conditions.
Natsirt
Just as particles move through the theoretical Higgs field and gain energy which gives them mass, do the strings in String theory get their energy to vibrate from the Higgs Field as well? And does that mean that the Strings have mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Strings do not have mass. Instead, they are characterized by a quantity that is called "tension". Gravity and matter with mass, similar to the matter which we see in our universe, emerge from strings.

http://www.superstringtheory.com/basics/basic4.html

atyy said:
Strings do not have mass. Instead, they are characterized by a quantity that is called "tension". Gravity and matter with mass, similar to the matter which we see in our universe, emerge from strings.

OK I expected that they wouldn't have mass and I know that their vibrations decide the amount of mass in particles but where does the energy come from to make the strings vibrate?

Natsirt said:
OK I expected that they wouldn't have mass and I know that their vibrations decide the amount of mass in particles but where does the energy come from to make the strings vibrate?

It is simply assumed that they have energy. The important thing is that energy is conserved.

So there is no explanation yet?

atyy said:

Don't they define a squared mass for the string states, and so on get the predicted spectrum of the theory?
I don't know, I don't really like the idea of "tension".

ChrisVer said:
Don't they define a squared mass for the string states, and so on get the predicted spectrum of the theory?
I don't know, I don't really like the idea of "tension".

I agree, I think the question has no answer yet. Guess I just need to be patient.

The answer to your question is in general no.
Although the Higgs mechanism can work on string theory (in order to break symmetries), the strings don't need the Higgs interaction to gain mass. Their mass is a result of their vibration modes.

ChrisVer said:
The answer to your question is in general no.
Although the Higgs mechanism can work on string theory (in order to break symmetries), the strings don't need the Higgs interaction to gain mass. Their mass is a result of their vibration modes.

And what makes the strings vibrate?

the fact that they are allowed to by the way you deal them- you allow them to vibrate with some boundary conditions.

So...is their Any theory to there vibrations or is it only assumed without an explanation.

no vibration is just one possibility out of the many you are allowed to have by accepting it. I don't understand what's your point. Non vibration would be for example a zero-th mode. The question would be more likely to ask yourself why you want to take just one case out of the infinite possibilities?

Related to Do the strings in String theory get energy to vibrate from Higgs?

1. Where does the energy for string vibration in String Theory come from?

The energy for string vibration in String Theory is believed to come from the Higgs field. This field is responsible for giving particles their mass, and in String Theory, the strings interact with this field in order to vibrate.

2. Can the Higgs field exist in multiple dimensions for String Theory?

Yes, the Higgs field can exist in multiple dimensions for String Theory. In fact, String Theory requires the existence of extra dimensions in order to be consistent.

3. How does the Higgs field affect the vibration of strings?

The Higgs field affects the vibration of strings by giving them mass. When a string interacts with the Higgs field, it gains energy and begins to vibrate. The strength of this interaction determines the frequency of the string's vibration.

4. Is the Higgs field the only source of energy for string vibration in String Theory?

No, the Higgs field is not the only source of energy for string vibration in String Theory. Other sources of energy, such as the kinetic energy of the strings themselves, can also contribute to string vibration.

5. How does the Higgs field relate to the unification of the four fundamental forces in String Theory?

The Higgs field plays a crucial role in the unification of the four fundamental forces in String Theory. Its interactions with the strings allow for the unification of gravity with the other three forces, which is one of the main goals of String Theory.