Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Do these manifolds have a boundary?

1. May 3, 2017 #1
    Any open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##;
    The n-Sphere, ##\mathbb{S}^n##;
    The Klein Bottle.

I guess they don't have a boundary, as a neighborhood of any point of them is homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n##.
    I'd like to know whether my guess is correct and whether the reason I'm giving for them not to have a boundary is valid.

(I actually found on web that the Klein Bottle does not have a boundary.)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2017 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor

None of these manifolds have a boundary and your reason is correct.

4. May 3, 2017 #3
    Thnx

5. May 3, 2017 #4
    Can you explain that a bit more ? I understand what homeomorphism is from Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeomorphism but why would being homeomorphic result in not having a boundary ?

6. May 3, 2017 #5

lavinia

Science Advisor

What definition of the boundary of a manifold are you thinking of?

7. May 3, 2017 #6
    I think he is looking for an answer of why manifolds without boundary have to be homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n##.

8. May 3, 2017 #7

martinbn

Science Advisor

They don't have to be, for example the sphere.

9. May 3, 2017 #8
    I meant the points on the manifold have to be a neighborhood homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n##. Is this not so?

10. May 3, 2017 #9

lavinia

Science Advisor

yes but what do you mean by a boundary? There is a difference between a manifold and a manifold with boundary.

For instance a sphere has no boundary but a closed ball does.

11. May 3, 2017 #10

martinbn

Science Advisor

May be, depends on what you mean by "the points". Do you mean all points i.e. the whole manifold? Then, no, it doesn't have to be homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^n##.

12. May 3, 2017 #11
    Please see below.

Well, I mean something that is in agreement with our notion of a end point or a barrier, for familiar geometrical objects, like the Earth, a sphere, a disk. At the same time, this definition has to be correct for any kind of manifold we want to apply it. So, given
    a manifold ##M## and a point ##x \in M##,
    an open subset ##U## of ##M## containing ##x##;
    Suppose we can find an homeomorphism ##\Psi: U \rightarrow V \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n##. If this can happen for every ##x \in M## we say ##M## have no boundaries.

For the case when it's possible to define only a half region around ##x## where there are a homeomorphism as above, then we say ##x## is in the boundary of ##M##. Thus ##M## have a boundary. All points on the boundary will get mapped to ##y \in \mathbb{R}^n = (0,y_1,...,y_n)## in the local mapping.

We see that by this way we can recover our notions of a boundary for the objects that I mentioned above (The sphere, etc...)
    I've constructed a diagram showing these concepts for the case of the closed 1-ball, namely the disk. I'm not sure if that diagram is actually correct in everything, however.

I wrote some notes in my language, not in English. So I'm going to translate it

1 - Here we see the disk from far away. The disk consists of all points that lie within the red circle.

dC5UB2G.png

2 - Now we zoom into the border of the disk and we see something like this

ioSPzDN.png

3 - Here is the result of the map of several points of the border of the disk in ##\mathbb{H}^2##

ZdJSr9P.jpg

Of course objects have physical limitations, so the above diagram is only a representation.

13. May 3, 2017 #12

lavinia

Science Advisor

For a manifold each point has to have a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to an open subset of ##R^{n}## as the OP said in the original post. For a manifold with boundary each point has to have a neighborhood that is homeomophic to an open subset of ##R^{n+}##.

It is important to understand that a point can not both be an interior point and a boundary point according to this definition.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  14. May 3, 2017 #13
    "[..] In technical language, a manifold with boundary is a space containing both interior points and boundary points. [..]", from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold#Manifold_with_boundary

15. May 3, 2017 #14

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That's not the correct way to state it. The correct way to state it is the way lavinia stated it in post #12. "Only a half region where there is a homeomorphism" doesn't really make sense.

16. May 3, 2017 #15
    "Each point has to have a neighborhood that is homeomophic to an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^{n \ +}## (which is the same as ##\mathbb{H}^2##) as she stated, isn't the same thing as "there's some half-like-region around each point ##x \in M## that is homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{H}^2##"?

17. May 3, 2017 #16

PeterDonis

2016 Award

No, because "half-region" implies that the neighborhood that is homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{H}^2## is "half" of something. It isn't. It's just a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{H}^2##.

18. May 3, 2017 #17
    Ok. Just to know, in my diagram above, is it correct to picture the region around the point as that circular red disk?

19. May 3, 2017 #18

PeterDonis

2016 Award

As the semicircular red region. Plus, the region includes the straight line boundary (since the point ##x## lies on it), but not the circular boundary (since ##\mathbb{H}^2## doesn't include that, it's open there).

20. May 3, 2017 #19
    Ok, thanks

21. May 3, 2017 #20
    I think this is the subtlety I was looking for. The difference between a sphere and a closed ball.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_(mathematics)
    That helps !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted