Do you agree with the use of sodium fluoride?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Yadama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, sodium fluoride is a substance commonly used by dentists to prevent cavities, but it can also be used as a stomach poison for insects. However, in large doses, it can be harmful and even lethal to humans. This highlights the importance of understanding the concept of dose in toxicology, as even seemingly harmless substances can be toxic in high enough amounts.
Yadama
So I just finished my chemistry homework and was going through my answers and googling them to learn more about them. I got to sodium fluoride and I already knew it was that stuff dentists put on your teeth and that it wasn't to good for you. I read that it has some advantages like preventing cavities, but is also used as a stomach poison for insects. I also read that in large doses it can cause stomach ulcers and is lethal at around 5-10 grams for a 150-ish pound human(toxic to inhale too).

So I want to know what your opinions are on the subject, do you agree with the use of sodium fluoride?

Biology news on Phys.org
A good place to close.

1. What is sodium fluoride?

Sodium fluoride is a chemical compound composed of sodium and fluoride ions. It is commonly used in toothpaste and water fluoridation to prevent tooth decay.

2. Is sodium fluoride safe for consumption?

Yes, sodium fluoride is generally considered safe for consumption in recommended amounts. However, excessive consumption can lead to negative health effects such as skeletal fluorosis.

3. Why is sodium fluoride added to public water supplies?

Sodium fluoride is added to public water supplies as a form of water fluoridation, which is a public health measure to prevent tooth decay. It helps to strengthen tooth enamel and reduce the risk of cavities.

4. Are there any alternatives to using sodium fluoride?

Yes, there are alternative methods for preventing tooth decay such as regular brushing and flossing, healthy diet, and fluoride-free toothpaste. However, water fluoridation is considered one of the most effective and affordable methods.

5. What are the potential benefits of using sodium fluoride?

The use of sodium fluoride has been shown to significantly reduce the prevalence of tooth decay, especially in children. It also has the potential to save money on dental treatments in the long run.