Do you beleive numbers effect our personality?

• Thread starter Kalrag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of numerology and whether people believe in its impact on human affairs. Some individuals express their belief that numerology is nonsense, while others mention specific examples where numbers do have an impact on human lives. Some suggest that numerology may have a placebo effect on those who believe in it, while others mention the supernatural aspect of numerology. There is also a discussion about the correlation between being good at math and belief in numerology. Ultimately, it is stated that not everyone in the conversation has read the original post before voting in the poll.

Do you beleive in Numerology?

• Total voters
Kalrag
As a school project I would like to ask if you believe in numerology (The study of numbers on human affairs). So all I need you to do is post and vote yes or no. And if you want too you can state your opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nonsense, but I'll allow the poll since people like voting.

Kalrag said:
As a school project I would like to ask if you believe in numerology (The study of numbers on human affairs). So all I need you to do is post and vote yes or no. And if you want too you can state your opinion.

It depends on what we mean when we say a number, if we are talking about numerology then no, it's a load of rubbish, if we mean numbers such as the fine-structure constant then it does have a large impact on human life at least.

For me it's as above, numerology = load of BS. I suppose numbers as in bank related, certainly.

No, not at all. I don't believe in the supernatural.

Of course, I only listen to advice from fortune tellers.

Sure they do. You think we behave the same whatever we have 100 Euros or 1000000 in a back account ?

If you use very general loose terms you don't have to be very accurate with your predictions because they encompass a wide enough range they will work for most everyone. However it might be possible that statistically people born in month xyz are more likely to have kids on xyz date or have a parent pass away ect I'm not totally sure about that.

Containment said:
If you use very general loose terms you don't have to be very accurate with your predictions because they encompass a wide enough range they will work for most everyone. However it might be possible that statistically people born in month xyz are more likely to have kids on xyz date or have a parent pass away ect I'm not totally sure about that.

Thats not really an example of how numbers can affect people though.

Numbers only have an effect to the extent people allow them to. So no, wait yes. ermm...

BS, they make this junk up as they go along.

Containment said:

Correlation doesn't mean causation. 666 anyone ?

Maybe in sort of the same way Astrology affects some people's personality.

While everyone possesses all the attributes for all the different zodiac signs to certain degrees, just having the idea float around that people born during your time of the year have a certain affinity for that attribute might actually make them develop that attribute to a higher degree.

So for example Pisces may actually be statistically more shy, introspective, feminine, whatever, but not because of the stars, but because of a labeling bias.

I saw an interesting news item recently where as a sort of marketing joke an insurance company posted accident rates by zodiac signs and they got a ton of complaints from people thinking this was one of there real actuarial variables. They had to send out a press release saying it wasn't. Though I was curious why not if it's statistically true.

Last edited:
I went with "no" on the poll.

I assumed the questions dealt specifically with numerology, i.e., numbers such as the how many letters in your name, etc. There is a caveat though. I believe that numerological watchammacallits may have a placebo-like effect on people that believe in numerology.

Not english letters and numbers though. Only Hebrew. Thank you, don't ask me. The study is way too advanced for me. I just know scholars of Talmud who have found evidence of this.

I voted no. At the same time number 50 starts to play more and more important role in my life, so to some extent I should vote yes :grumpy:

If you're talking about the number of $s, then yes.

I think being good at messin' with numbers can predispose you to being overly confident in your intelligence. But it's not necessarily anything more than a correlation.

TylerH said:
I think being good at messin' with numbers can predispose you to being overly confident in your intelligence. But it's not necessarily anything more than a correlation.

Quite on the contrary, I find it more common that mathematicians places uselessness at basic arithmetic as more of a positive trait, half-jokingly perhaps.

Jarle said:
Quite on the contrary, I find it more common that mathematicians "brag" about their uselessness at basic arithmetic.
This has nothing to do with math, it's about the supernatural. Numerology is supernatural. I hope you understood that when you voted.

Evo said:
This has nothing to do with math, it's about the supernatural. Numerology is supernatural. I hope you understood that when you voted.

I don't think anyone here read the OP before thinking about their response.

Evo said:

Are you supervising and commenting on personal votes? Mind you I did it for fun and effect, but I didn't expect to be ratted out! Of course I know the issue and is probably of the same opinion of you about numerology, but I was commenting directly to TylerH's statement.

jarednjames said:
Some did, some didn't, some don't know what numerology is.

Jarle said:
Are you supervising and commenting on personal votes? Mind you I did it for fun and effect, but I didn't expect to be ratted out! Of course I know the issue and is probably of same opinion of you, but I was commenting directly to TylerH's statement.
The vote is a public poll, you can see who voted by clicking on the number of votes. I'm afraid some people are voting as a joke and skewing the OP's results.

Evo said:
The vote is a public poll, you can see who voted by clicking on the number of votes.

I wasn't aware, that's too bad. In any case I think you see that I wasn't commenting on OP's question.

jarednjames said:

To be fair, the title has more of an explanation of "numerology" than the OP does.

The title doesn't mention numerology, only the OP does.

If you vote without reading the OP you won't realize it is about numerology.

So the title means nothing in this case.

If people don't know what numerology is, they should look it up before they vote.

Sorry Lacy...

I voted no, but I would say that I find some numbers VERY significant.

1: The number of hearts you want to have.
2: The number of testicles you want to have if you're male.
3: The number of testicles you don't want to have if you're male.
0: The number of testicles you REALLY don't want to have if you're male.
1: The ideal number of "Penasia" (Louis C.K.) a man should have, but undesirable in ladies.
42: If you don't get this, I don't get you. GOOGLE IT.
1024: More accurate than 1000.
7: Most common favorite number.

I'm glad you included 1024, but extremely happy you put 42 in the list!

jarednjames said:

:biggrin: I knew I liked you for all kinds of good reasons!

i read the OP. and then i just voted the way i wanted to. which is that numbers obviously affect people.

jarednjames said:

nismaratwork said:
:biggrin: I knew I liked you for all kinds of good reasons!

Ha, just realized something seeing as we're on the subject of numerology:

Do you not see the special meaning of 1024 and 42?

Double the first half and halve the second half of 1024 = 2012

Half of 42 = 21

What do you get, 21 2012. Now all I need is the something to give me the month.

Which funny enough I would have had. If you add up the rest of your 'special numbers': 1+2+3+1+7 = 14. However, when I was reading them and saw "The number of testicles you don't want to have if you're male." my first thoughts were 1.

So substitute the 3 for a 1 and you get your 12.

Which gives us 21st of December 2012.

*bows to applause from readers*

Wow, I just BS'd my way through numerology 101! :biggrin:

Proton Soup said:
i read the OP. and then i just voted the way i wanted to. which is that numbers obviously affect people.
But that's not the question.

Is it too much to ask that people understand what numerology is before they vote? It's not that difficult to read up on it people.

This is just a silly poll, but it demonstrates how many people will vote when they are completely clueless as to what they are voting on.

Evo said:
But that's not the question.

it is the poll question, as worded. but, more importantly to me, numerology may be right about some things, if for the wrong reasons.

<h2>1. Do numbers have a direct impact on our personality?</h2><p>There is no scientific evidence to suggest that numbers have a direct effect on our personality. Our personality is shaped by a combination of genetics, environment, and personal experiences.</p><h2>2. Can numbers predict our personality traits?</h2><p>No, numbers cannot predict our personality traits. Personality is a complex and dynamic concept that cannot be reduced to a set of numbers.</p><h2>3. Are certain numbers associated with specific personality types?</h2><p>There is no scientific basis to support the idea that certain numbers are associated with specific personality types. This is often based on cultural beliefs and superstitions rather than scientific evidence.</p><h2>4. Can numerology accurately determine our personality?</h2><p>No, numerology is not a scientifically validated method for determining personality. It is based on the belief that numbers have mystical powers and can reveal information about a person's character and future.</p><h2>5. Do numbers have any influence on our behavior?</h2><p>There is no scientific evidence to suggest that numbers have any influence on our behavior. Our behavior is influenced by a variety of factors such as our emotions, thoughts, and experiences.</p>

1. Do numbers have a direct impact on our personality?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that numbers have a direct effect on our personality. Our personality is shaped by a combination of genetics, environment, and personal experiences.

2. Can numbers predict our personality traits?

No, numbers cannot predict our personality traits. Personality is a complex and dynamic concept that cannot be reduced to a set of numbers.

3. Are certain numbers associated with specific personality types?

There is no scientific basis to support the idea that certain numbers are associated with specific personality types. This is often based on cultural beliefs and superstitions rather than scientific evidence.

4. Can numerology accurately determine our personality?

No, numerology is not a scientifically validated method for determining personality. It is based on the belief that numbers have mystical powers and can reveal information about a person's character and future.

5. Do numbers have any influence on our behavior?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that numbers have any influence on our behavior. Our behavior is influenced by a variety of factors such as our emotions, thoughts, and experiences.