Do you beleive numbers effect our personality?

• Thread starter Kalrag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of numerology and whether people believe in its impact on human affairs. Some individuals express their belief that numerology is nonsense, while others mention specific examples where numbers do have an impact on human lives. Some suggest that numerology may have a placebo effect on those who believe in it, while others mention the supernatural aspect of numerology. There is also a discussion about the correlation between being good at math and belief in numerology. Ultimately, it is stated that not everyone in the conversation has read the original post before voting in the poll.

Do you beleive in Numerology?

• Total voters
Proton Soup said:
it is the poll question, as worded. but, more importantly to me, numerology may be right about some things, if for the wrong reasons.
So you believe in the supernatural?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:

that is a different question. numbers may affect people for perfectly natural reasons.

Proton Soup said:
that is a different question. numbers may affect people for perfectly natural reasons.
But do you believe in numerology? That was the poll question.

Evo said:
But do you believe in numerology? That was the poll question.

if you wish to remove my vote, then please do so.

How could a simple question do you believe in numerology stimulate a discussion without a head and a tail ...

rootX said:
How could a simple question do you believe in numerology stimulate a discussion without a head and a tail ...

Such is the nature of the General discussion forum.

Jarle said:
Such is the nature of the General discussion forum.

Yes, I was joking :biggrin:
I voted No. I am curious what kind of school project is that. Schools don't teach numerology ...

Last edited:
Evo said:

Tried to double quote here but would not work for me.

"believe in the supernatural?" is very strong. There a lot of things I am waiting for technology to make available to us in a clear and reasonable way.
I think some things termed supernatural are just plain hogwash. But a lot of things, this topic perhaps not being one, I don't know, are very close to finding a place in the science labs.
I started with PF long time ago with hopes of understanding a respectable way to present "metaphysics." We may remember that one of the mentors here even stood by my attempt to get it going.
It was not the time.
I spoke often to Brian Greene about this as well and where he did not dismiss para/metaphysics he said he "had not yet seen a reasonable explanation."
"supernatural" comes with a ton of really bad stuff. Stuff I would not get near for anything.
It needs another name.
Again, I do not know anything about Gematria, a Jewish numerology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria
But I would not rule it out.

I go by the standard definition of supernatural.

The term supernatural or supranatural (Latin: super, supra "above" + natura "nature") pertains to being above or beyond what is natural, unexplainable by natural law or phenomena. ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural

Evo said:

Ok, I read that and it's the very nightmare people interested in Metaphysics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics
And the paranormal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapsychology
Are going to be scooped up in.
But this is an old topic here. I even found one of my original posts when looking for these references.

I just think "supernatural" includes things like witchcraft and other semi faith based things that would not be even close to science.

despite the implications of my name, no I don't believe in supernatural numerology.

Lacy33 said:
Not english letters and numbers though. Only Hebrew. Thank you, don't ask me. The study is way too advanced for me. I just know scholars of Talmud who have found evidence of this.

Well now I know of someone who knows scholars of Talmud, and doggonnit that's good enough for me!

Lacy33 said:
I just think "supernatural" includes things like witchcraft and other semi faith based things that would not be even close to science.

Your beliefs are your own and they are entirely down to yourself, however there is a reason all these get lumped together in the eyes of science.

Science requires a certain set of criteria in order to for it to grant its view on the subject - all of these topics have failed in that criteria.

For example, science requests proof / evidence for the phenomenon.

Numerology, as with ghosts and magic etc have never produced any acceptable evidence under the criteria for science to accept it. People perceive there being evidence - the numbers predict you're going to bump into an old friend - but they ignore all the predictions that don't come true - the vast majority made.

Now people will argue about this constantly, but that's just how it is.

jarednjames said:
Your beliefs are your own and they are entirely down to yourself, however there is a reason all these get lumped together in the eyes of science.
Hi jarednjames, Thank you for your comments on my post. I agree with how things get piled together in a grouping and suffer the company of all that is in there.
I needed to mention to a poster in a thread about ufo's. My beliefs really have nothing to do with anything I post here if you are trying to say that because I am of a "faith based" tradition and people, I have a "belief" that colors everything I say and do. No!
It does not.
It is actually the tradition of my people within the "faith based" community to question everything.
The name of this thread goes by "Do you believe numbers effect our personality?"
I think this is a poor way to present the question on a science forum. Or any forum for that matter unless you want to ID all "faithful" type personalities.

Please allow me give you an example of how "numbers" and weak studies that fall under science and in this case the medical field do effect our personalities and very lives.

I am a survivor of domestic violence, a lot of people here know this.
Many years ago while being seen for a pre natal check up and broke out in tears and told the doctor I was being beat every day and many time knocked out. The doctor gave ME a tranquilizer.
Now you can start counting and calculating how numbers, observation, science, commerce, and failed science studies can actually kill someone.
I took the medicine. My baby thankfully was born OK. I continued to take beatings but finally left successfully.

Fast forward many years.
An arranged marriage in a "faith based" community and I get another abuser. Mazel Tov! First he breaks the glass and then he breaks my head.
From the part of the world where he comes this is how they treat women.
It's a custom a tradition.

He says to me "a woman has a snake in her and the husband needs to beat it to come out of her mouth and then she will be a "faithful" loving wife."

This man was not an American which I am and I was not up on this tradition.
He watched me very carefully and it was hard to get out but I did. Thankfully before dying.

I ended up in a battered woman's shelter and like all woman there, went through medical exams and psychological evaluation.

Are you counting? Are you sleeping? WAKE UP! Thank you.

My symptoms at the time were shaking uncontrollably, scattered thinking, fainting, ... Well you might imagine, I was afraid this man would find me and kill me, a shared feeling of many battered people.

COUNT!
That psychiatrist threw the book at me. The entire DSM IV. I went in a terrified young woman who could not even trust her own "faith based" leaders who I was imagining knew this man would beat me, and came out of her office a full schizophrenic with a huge amount of medications to keep me from being a danger to myself and others.

I did not take that medication. I waited ... 12 years later, I finally ended up with the correct diagnosis. PTSD, depression and anxiety d/o. I never had schizophrenia.
Psychiatry is a part of the medical system that is based on science that is based on numbers.
How much "belief," speculation and and room for error is there in this very dangerous area of science that is based on data (numbers)?
Thankfully it is advancing. But it did not do so without the data of which I am part.

Lacy, that sounds terrible. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Now, to get straight to the point (and this going to sound a lot harsher than I mean it to) - where do numbers come into any of that? I'm even curious where science relating to numerology comes into it.

I'm not sure about your first marriage, how that one came about, perhaps the same as the second?. But the cause of the second one a) for getting you into it and b) for the attitude towards women is cultural and religion based - nothing scientific or number related there.
Psychiatry is a part of the medical system that is based on science that is based on numbers.

Numbers, assumptions and predictions.

But those numbers aren't based on numerology - far from it.

This thread is about numerology. Nothing in your post is related to it. Of course, numbers as you describe affect our daily lives - my bank account does on a daily basis, but this is absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

(See, a lot harsher than I wanted it to be.)

Jared,
Thank you again.
I beg you to realize this was not a moment for me to come out of the closet and share my sad story. Mine is actually a happy story. I survived the abusers and the first psychiatrist as well.

My story (example) has everything to do with science. My post was not about marriage.

The point I am trying to make and with a lot of case history for you at my expense is that all students of the sciences need to go up on the ladder and look from a higher altitude.

Disassembled some of your older models, for example the grouping of words and the use of the word belief.

It's possible numerology does have some worth. Maybe it is just the way it is presented.
The OP did not specify which system of numerology.
You your self said it.

Originally Posted by Proton Soup
it is the poll question, as worded. but, more importantly to me, numerology may be right about some things, if for the wrong reasons.
I do have to get busy on something.
Good day

Lacy33 said:
Hi jarednjames, Thank you for your comments on my post. I agree with how things get piled together in a grouping and suffer the company of all that is in there.
I needed to mention to a poster in a thread about ufo's. My beliefs really have nothing to do with anything I post here if you are trying to say that because I am of a "faith based" tradition and people, I have a "belief" that colors everything I say and do. No!
It does not.
It is actually the tradition of my people within the "faith based" community to question everything.
The name of this thread goes by "Do you believe numbers effect our personality?"
I think this is a poor way to present the question on a science forum. Or any forum for that matter unless you want to ID all "faithful" type personalities.

Please allow me give you an example of how "numbers" and weak studies that fall under science and in this case the medical field do effect our personalities and very lives.

I am a survivor of domestic violence, a lot of people here know this.
Many years ago while being seen for a pre natal check up and broke out in tears and told the doctor I was being beat every day and many time knocked out. The doctor gave ME a tranquilizer.
Now you can start counting and calculating how numbers, observation, science, commerce, and failed science studies can actually kill someone.
I took the medicine. My baby thankfully was born OK. I continued to take beatings but finally left successfully.

Fast forward many years.
An arranged marriage in a "faith based" community and I get another abuser. Mazel Tov! First he breaks the glass and then he breaks my head.
From the part of the world where he comes this is how they treat women.
It's a custom a tradition.

He says to me "a woman has a snake in her and the husband needs to beat it to come out of her mouth and then she will be a "faithful" loving wife."

This man was not an American which I am and I was not up on this tradition.
He watched me very carefully and it was hard to get out but I did. Thankfully before dying.

I ended up in a battered woman's shelter and like all woman there, went through medical exams and psychological evaluation.

Are you counting? Are you sleeping? WAKE UP! Thank you.

My symptoms at the time were shaking uncontrollably, scattered thinking, fainting, ... Well you might imagine, I was afraid this man would find me and kill me, a shared feeling of many battered people.

COUNT!
That psychiatrist threw the book at me. The entire DSM IV. I went in a terrified young woman who could not even trust her own "faith based" leaders who I was imagining knew this man would beat me, and came out of her office a full schizophrenic with a huge amount of medications to keep me from being a danger to myself and others.

I did not take that medication. I waited ... 12 years later, I finally ended up with the correct diagnosis. PTSD, depression and anxiety d/o. I never had schizophrenia.
How much "belief," speculation and and room for error is there in this very dangerous area of science that is based on data (numbers)?
Thankfully it is advancing. But it did not do so without the data of which I am part.

...And this is why you're so loveable, interesting, and still intellectually honest. I take your meaning, there is science, there is that borderland of science and art (medicine), and the practiced arts (psychology).

You know I don't believe in numerology of any kind, but part of not meeting scientific standards is that there is no time limit. People can have beliefs, explore them, and as long as they return to the beginning with the scientific method, you won't be led far astray. It's not what you explore or believe that defines you, if you're willing to accept its place in the world; I believe that you do.

@Jared: I say this from personal experience around this topic, and from my professed lack of belief: Lacy is almost certainly explaining that she sees a difference between the underlying sciences, the derived sciences, and the derived scientific arts, beyond which are non-scientific arts. Those latter may or may not be real, but most importantly is recognizing what is a cultural or personal belief while not calling it science. If I didn't know her and others of a similar mindset, I'd react much as you have, but in this case I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

nismaratwork said:
...And this is why you're so loveable, interesting, and still intellectually honest. I take your meaning, there is science, there is that borderland of science and art (medicine), and the practiced arts (psychology).

You know I don't believe in numerology of any kind, but part of not meeting scientific standards is that there is no time limit. People can have beliefs, explore them, and as long as they return to the beginning with the scientific method, you won't be led far astray. It's not what you explore or believe that defines you, if you're willing to accept its place in the world; I believe that you do.

@Jared: I say this from personal experience around this topic, and from my professed lack of belief: Lacy is almost certainly explaining that she sees a difference between the underlying sciences, the derived sciences, and the derived scientific arts, beyond which are non-scientific arts. Those latter may or may not be real, but most importantly is recognizing what is a cultural or personal belief while not calling it science. If I didn't know her and others of a similar mindset, I'd react much as you have, but in this case I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You know nismar, where I come from we call friends like you family. However from the little personal information I have been able to get from you I would almost have to call our friendship "faith based" :rofl: requiring me to be a whole lot more "religious" than I would have otherwise been. I don't know where we would be related unless you came from that rabbit family one of my family married into.
That you come from India and are transplanted somewhere "safe." That you are actually Older than me by 3-4 years and you are working on something you don't talk about.
If not an actual country could you just give me some PO box I can mail you a Golden Shovel and waste high boots. Thanks and thank you Jared.

Lacy33 said:
For example the number of brain cells one is using.

Some of us are using far less than with which were were originally blessed.

Kalrag said:
As a school project I would like to ask if you believe in numerology (The study of numbers on human affairs). So all I need you to do is post and vote yes or no. And if you want too you can state your opinion.
I don't know what numerology is, and as an expression of that I chose to not vote.

Evo said:

If it's in my apartment without my permission and I can't aikido it's *** to the floor, I stop caring whether it's pre or post dead. If it's not screaming for bloody life, repentence, and the absolution of prior sins, it's dead.

Questions?

I really am a nice guy, by the way, and keep getting invited to parties in part because I believe in what's right.

As my mother in law told me years ago: "Do the right thing." Thanks, Rosalie. I always have, and always will.

ThomasT said:
I don't know what numerology is, and as an expression of that I chose to not vote.

Lol, perhaps that's the wisest choice. :)

Lacy33 said:
You know nismar, where I come from we call friends like you family. However from the little personal information I have been able to get from you I would almost have to call our friendship "faith based" :rofl: requiring me to be a whole lot more "religious" than I would have otherwise been. I don't know where we would be related unless you came from that rabbit family one of my family married into.
That you come from India and are transplanted somewhere "safe." That you are actually Older than me by 3-4 years and you are working on something you don't talk about.
If not an actual country could you just give me some PO box I can mail you a Golden Shovel and waste high boots. Thanks and thank you Jared.

Now it's that kind of misinformation that's going to get me into trouble! :wink: Still, right back at you, in only good ways. :smile: Besides, you already gave me a great line, "...I call that failing math."(Lacy33) I know where you stand, and how you view the world, differently than I and many here, but by no means incompatible.

@Mugs: Good advice... remind me not to accost you in your apartment... or ever! :biggrin: