Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Donald Trump: What Do the Scientists Say?

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

Donald Trump is a candidate running in the 2016 POTUS race. On 9/20/2016, 375 scientists signed an open letter regarding Donald Trump. I think it's interesting to read, since personally I do not see Trump as a viable candidate and the open letter addresses climate change and the United States. Scientists who have signed the letter include former Professor E.O. Wilson of Harvard University, Stephen Hawking of Cambridge University, and more.

News Article:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/scientists-donald-trump_us_57e1ac04e4b0e80b1b9eda3d

Open Letter:
    http://responsiblescientists.org/

I think I agree mostly with the Huffington Post article, save for one contention. In the article, it states that, "The Republican presidential nominee, who once claimed global warming is a hoax 'created by and for the Chinese' . . . " However, Trump has mentioned that his tweet was not entirely serious (CNN video). I don't believe that the mentioning of his claim without the mentioning of his statement of facetiousness is entirely honest. It seems that he is skeptical of climate change, but was facetious when stating that it was China who invented it.

Transcript (2:40):

Tapper: "Um, back, uh, in 2012, you tweeted quote, 'The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.'"

Trump: "Well, of course I'm being sarcastic, you know, I mean I love to—"

Tapper: "That's not to be taken seriously?"

Trump: "No, it's a little bit serious. There's a little bit of seriousness there."

What are your opinions of the article? What are your opinions of the open letter?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then you have not been paying attention to what is going on. Frighteningly enough, he is a VERY viable candidate (in terms of getting elected). Beyond that I can't say much about Trump without violating the forum rules on language and courtesy.

4. Sep 22, 2016 #3

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

Of course I know that Trump has a good chance of being elected, I guess I need to work on my word choice. When I said that he's not "viable," I mean I don't believe his policies would be for the better of the United States.

I'll be careful to use better word choice next time.

5. Sep 22, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's a good idea on this forum. Scientific questions and discussions depend on precision of language so folks around here are more sensitive to that than the average social media forum

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. Sep 22, 2016 #5

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

I have noticed. At least (most?) people write with tact.

7. Sep 22, 2016 #6
    I would assume there be few serious scientists that would support Trump. Is this really news? Can anyone point to a top scientist who openly supports Trump?

8. Sep 22, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Can anyone point to one who supported Romney?

9. Sep 22, 2016 #8
    Most all top universities in the US are extremely liberal. I doubt that anyone in that environment who supported Trump would openly admit it.

10. Sep 22, 2016 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, but posts in this forum have to be actual recent news events (if your post was deleted).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  11. Sep 22, 2016 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"The letter warns that the consequences of opting out of the Paris agreement would be severe and long-lasting for our planet’s climate and for the international credibility of the United States." --- from the OP.

Can anyone point to a "top scientist" who supports Clinton? Or Sanders? Or Gary Johnson? Or Jill Stein?

12. Sep 23, 2016 #11

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

This is the first time I have posted this thread. I haven't deleted anything.

13. Sep 23, 2016 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then she was not addressing you and you need not have responded.

14. Sep 24, 2016 #13
    Again, and this is my personal opinion, here is a good opportunity to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to broad understanding of world affairs. Donald Trump knows next to nothing about them and, more importantly, doesn't care. That's the rub. But go ahead and vote your conscience, Bystander.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  15. Sep 24, 2016 #14

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

My conscience? Leave the office vacant.

16. Sep 24, 2016 #15

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

I try to not generalize (anymore). A lot of people I know (whose names I will not disclose) support/will vote for Trump because of their unfavorable views on Clinton, but still view Trump unfavorably. While I believe that it's still a bad reason--a candidate should stand on his/her own merits rather than someone else's downfalls--it's different than supporting his policies. If you did vote for Trump because you agreed with most (or all) of his policies, though, I might give you a funny look unless/until you gave me good reasons (those backed with empirical evidence) to support his positions.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  17. Sep 26, 2016 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This thread is devolving into personal comments to other PF members and is getting off track.

EDIT: I see the problem solved after thread was closed for a bit

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  18. Sep 29, 2016 #17
    This scientist says Trump is a moron. However, I think the moron would make a better president than his opponent. I'm just PO'd that I have to make a choice between a lying, power greedy, narcissist, and a lying, mysogonistic, xenophobic narcissist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted