Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think ebook reading is effective than Paper books?

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1

zyh

hi, this is a simple question.
    I think reading an ebook on the computer screen is LESS effective then reading a paper books. Sometimes, my eyes feel pain especiall the ebook scrolling on the screen.
    So, I think it's more effective and healthy way to read on papers.
    Do you think so?
    Hope for your thoughts.Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    no.

but, e-books are free :smile:

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate reading a lot of script on the screen! I strongly prefer reading from paper. But I always thought that it's because I'm in my 40s.

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4
    There is one very convenient thing with ebook, it's the search function, especially for technical books used as a reference.

6. Jul 29, 2008 #5

zyh

There are a lot of ebooks on the internet which are illegal copy of the original paper books.:rolleyes:.
    As I don't have enough money to buy and Honestly I have download them to read:frown:
    God will punish me...

7. Jul 29, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes, good point - I completely agree with this...the search function is one of the best inventions ever!

But for sitting and reading, I still prefer paper. I'm in the last generation who grew up reading exclusively on paper.

8. Jul 29, 2008 #7
    Don't worry you can overcome this problem. The trick is to read a lot more stuff online. I mean a few HOURS. Try to read at least 2 hours a day online straight with no pauses. (That includes using the bathroom). Also, avoid excessive blinking, it makes your eyes tired much faster.

9. Jul 29, 2008 #8
    If you have a recent Acrobat reader, you should check the ability it has to read out loud. I often use when I'm doing something else.

10. Jul 29, 2008 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

Does the screen refresh rate make reading easier for your eyes for LCDs?

11. Jul 29, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does it read out loud in French?

12. Jul 29, 2008 #11
    :rofl:
    It reads french with the most awful american accent.

13. Jul 29, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha - oh, of course :tongue2:!

14. Jul 29, 2008 #13
    As far as I know, LCD's dont 'refresh'. They only change individual pixels. I cant look at a CRT monitor for 1/10th the time of an LCD. But the only people I've seen using old CRTS are students in the office, and I have no idea why in the hell there using the CRT. I just use my laptop as my desk computer and it folds away when im done. Hence I get to use all of my desk area, and they lose a huge chunk of their space to the monitor and the tower, plus the rats nest of wires below. :yuck:

15. Jul 29, 2008 #14
    it's too slow ..

most people I know, prefer paper over e-book,
    and maybe I need glasses to look @ the screen but I can read paper books without my glasses which is comfortable

16. Jul 29, 2008 #15

Defennder

Homework Helper

There is a "screen refresh rate" for my hardware under my Vista control panel display settings even though I'm using LCD. What does that refer to?

17. Jul 29, 2008 #16
    Sure, I do too !

18. Jul 29, 2008 #17
    I have no idea. Maybe its there incase you live in Pakistan and still have CRT with your VISTA and dial up.

19. Jul 29, 2008 #18
    :rofl: Vista....:rofl:...in Pakistan.....:rofl: You kill me. :wink:

20. Jul 30, 2008 #19
    Try using Kindle. It uses electronic paper, so its reflective like regular paper text instead of emissive like LCDs.

21. Jul 30, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I always thought the index was a sufficient search function in a textbook. :uhh:

Hmm, it always seems to read English text with the most awful French accent. :uhh: :wink: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?