Do you think Newton is a bit overrated?

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Newton
In summary, the conversation discusses the reputation and contributions of Isaac Newton in the scientific community. While some argue that he is overrated and that there are other equally important scientists, such as Archimedes, Leibniz, Helmholtz, Boltzman, and Bose, who do not receive the same level of recognition, others believe that Newton deserves credit for his original ideas and significant impact on science. The conversation also touches on the overrating of Einstein and Hawking, and the underrated status of Gauss and Maxwell. Overall, the opinions vary, but it is acknowledged that Newton's work in "Principia" was groundbreaking and his influence cannot be denied.
Jimmy Snyder said:
I can't speak for others, but for myself, I would say that I tend to overrate Newton. I give him a 9.7 or 9.8 on most days,
Surely Newton deserves to be rated 9.80665?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrGreg said:
Surely Newton deserves to be rated 9.80665?

Well yeah, but then there's that time Newton said Led Zeppelin was just a rip off of Blue Cheer and MC5 that was pretty stupid lol[/sarcasm]

Edison had a factory full of inventors working for him and he put all their patents for their inventions under his name, so he gets the credit. Edison probably invented far fewer things than the number attributed to him.

qspeechc said:
Edison had a factory full of inventors working for him and he put all their patents for their inventions under his name, so he gets the credit. Edison probably invented far fewer things than the number attributed to him.
Edison invented the research laboratory.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Edison invented the research laboratory.

Lol'd...

I can't say as I care for his figs, but otherwise he's okay.

Dammit, Flex! Between you and Lisa, I don't know why I even bother posting any more. You both keep beating me to the punchline.

What about Dirac? Michael Faraday?

jackson6612 said:

Was Faraday stuck between Dirac and a hard place?

jackson6612 said:
Seriously, making a list is futile. History is interesting, but why judge ? How do you compare Maxwell and Archimedes ? How would you rate those who disappeared too soon like Majorana ? How about those who devoted their time to teaching and never ceased to turn ever more students into first class physicists, like Wheeler ?

What is fascinating about physics is that it is a universal endeavor which we all write together, turning grains of sand into mountain ridges. Some are lucky enough that they roll a big rock to the right place, but that might be only be because many others cleared the way.

humanino said:
How would you rate those who disappeared too soon like Majorana

Literally, in his case.

Danger said:
Was Faraday stuck between Dirac and a hard place?

:smile:

lisab said:
:smile:
And he says he's surprised to be nominated for the humor award!

The famous quote by Newton:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

was a dig at his enemy Robert Hooke. Hooke was known to be a very short man, what Newton was saying was he owned Hooke nothing.

Mu naught said:
The famous quote by Newton:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

was a dig at his enemy Robert Hooke. Hooke was known to be a very short man, what Newton was saying was he owned Hooke nothing.

I believe you meant 'owed' instead?

Best wishes
Jack

not compared to me.

mathwonk said:
not compared to me.

:biggrin:

This thread is overrated. :)