Most commonly mispronounced scientists' names

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary: I couldn't find any examples of Muslim or Hindu names being mispronounced in the same way.Some names from other cultures are also mispronounced by English speakers, for example "Mohammad" is usually pronounced "Mo-ham-mad".In summary, Gregg's thread on most commonly misspelt science words reminded me that I wanted to post some time one on the most commonly mispronounced scientists' names. As well as famous names being invoked, they are often of course used for naming effects or units etc. The absolute worst case is Huyghens. I cringe when I hear people think it has to be pronounced something like Hur-ee-ghens - really ugly. It
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Gregg's thread on most commonly misspelt science words reminded me that I wanted to post some time one on the most commonly mispronounced scientists' names. As well as famous names being invoked, they are often of course used for naming effects or units etc.

The absolute worst case is Huyghens. I cringe when I hear people think it has to be pronounced something like Hur-ee-ghens - really ugly. It's Dutch, but it's not as bad as that! Something like High-ghens is nearer, and would be a relief for everybody. van Leeuwenhoek similar - pronunciation like 'fan Live en hook'.

It struck me only now to wonder: couldn't the very official committees who laid down units terminology and definitions have standardised pronunciations? If they did I have never heard of it.

I had a thought earlier about what principles we should generally adopt for pronunciation. It seemed to me the best was not how it comes to you in your own language on the one hand. But on the other hand not quite as it is in the language of origin. That would lead to snobbishness and be impossible in the end. It seems to me a good principle could be pronounce it like somebody who knows how it should be pronounced in the original but does not pretend to do exactly that.

Even that, I have to admit, would be more a case of do what I say than do what I do. I have been thinking the words for so long that it has been difficult for me to mentally switch from Einstein to Einshtein. From Kirchoff pronounced Kerr Choff! like a sneeze to Keer hoff with a difficult German ch.

It's not always obvious that the case arises. For the time I thought the useful Sturm method should be Shtoorm, but it turns out he was French though the name was in origin Germanic so how should that be? Cotton, of the Cotton effect was French too, so pronunciation is not like English cotton, but more like Coe ton with stress on the second syllable which is nasal, difficult to get that right too.

Here is a list of some names I have often enough heard mispronounced (and as I say, am guilty myself).

Huyghens
Cotton
de Broglie
Einstein
Kirchhoff
Sturm
Mendeleev
Ampere
Bernoulli
Buchner, Bunsen
Celsius
Curie
Einstein
Fermat
Hertz
Kirchoff
van Leeuwenhoek
Jacobi

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, S.G. Janssens and BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an "English speakers only" thread. Most other languages do not mispronounce names as English speakers do. To their excuse must be said that they normally simply lack the appropriate sound in their language. Making Bach=back jokes simply don't work for anybody who is capable of pronouncing "a" correctly and "ch" at all.

I dare to claim that you can list every single foreign scientist's name in this thread.

Likes Klystron, Hornbein, dextercioby and 2 others
And where do you draw the line between "mispronounce" and "use your native accent"?

Likes mcastillo356 and Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
And where do you draw the line between "mispronounce" and "use your native accent"?
Good question. Einstein is officially pronounced "ine+sh+t+ine". People from Hamburg would say "ine+s+t+ine" which is a pronunciation letter by letter, i.e. not really wrong, just not what the lexicon demands. One is correct German, and the other one is a local dialect.

And it would be Einstein's Albert in the region where he comes from.

Ah, my favorite topic, phonetics. Well, you see, that's why we have the IPA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet. Which has a set of characters defined to cover all possible languages, but let us choose for simplicity the major European ones. So yes, the "legal" way to pronounce a person's name is to apply the country's IPA to the letter description of the name.
Einstein is a German surname, or a name most likely to be found within German-speaking countries (irrespective of whether the bearer of the name is German or Jew or whatever). In IPA the official pronunciation is here, right after the word "German" in the first line: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein.

Because for a native English speaker who has not undergone a rigorous study of the German language in school (any level from elementary to University), the German pronunciation is almost impossible to reproduce with the mouth and vocal cords, one has devised an "anglicized" pronunciation using the set of characters from the English IPA. That is why English and Americans pronounce it the way they do.

And Dutch has a set of fundamental sounds (or phonemes) even trickier than the Germans, and the French do as well. That is why the anglicized pronunciation is not close to the "legal" one.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
I have no doubt that English speakers are among the worst. But I'll wager that even Europeans regularly mangle Chinese names.

Note that @epenguin 's list of examples seems to include only Judeo-Christian names.

Even if Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz was the genius behind some of the most important physics law, world would name it after John Smith who published it 50 years later.

• Haha
Likes Lord Jestocost, Astronuc, epenguin and 2 others
Borek said:
Even if Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz was the genius behind some of the most important physics law, world would name it after John Smith who published it 50 years later.
It's even worse: Riesz and Riesz are two different mathematicians with differently pronounced names!

Likes Hornbein and BillTre
Hearing Leon Brillouin’s name pronounced by a native speaker is an exercise in beauty. Hearing it around a US college campus—not so much.

Likes Astronuc and berkeman
When I first read popular books by Richard Feynman, I had the intuitive pronunciation of his last name in mind. Then one time later in life, I heard his last name pronounced "Fineman" and thought, oh no, I've been mispronouncing his name all this time!

And then when I was ready to post in this thread about Feynman, I checked the pronounciation online, and learned that I had it right initially/intuitively. Doh!

https://www.howtopronounce.com/richard-feynman

berkeman said:
When I first read popular books by Richard Feynman, I had the intuitive pronunciation of his last name in mind. Then one time later in life, I heard his last name pronounced "Fineman" and thought, oh no, I've been mispronouncing his name all this time!

And then when I was ready to post in this thread about Feynman, I checked the pronounciation online, and learned that I had it right initially/intuitively. Doh!

https://www.howtopronounce.com/richard-feynman
Where is the difference?

I just found a clip on FB and I have to say that this guy pronounced his lyrics better than most others pronounce German scientist names (~@ 1:00, btw. in Einstein's native home dialect):

fresh_42 said:
Where is the difference?
Yikes, the presentation at the link that I copy/pasted is very different from what I found via Google, sorry. Incorrect is "Fineman", and apparently correct is "Faynman".

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
berkeman said:
Yikes, the presentation at that link is very different from what I found via Google, sorry. Incorrect is "Fineman", and apparently correct is "Faynman".
I hear "Fineman" from the link, no "a" as in "fade", or as we would write it in German: Feynmen.

Edit: I looked up the origin of Feynman. As a Jewish name originating from Russia / Poland, I am very certain that it is Feynman, a version of "feiner Mann = fine man". Everything else is an American assimilation. The Yiddish pronunciation would be Fineman.

Last edited:
Listen to Dale Corson's introduction at the Messenger Lecture. And watch the lecture!

Likes pinball1970
hutchphd said:
Listen to Dale Corson's introduction at the Messenger Lecture. And watch the lecture!
I still hear "Fineman". The only assimilation from Yiddish to English was that the Roman and German "a" turned into an English "e" as in "then".

How is Landau pronounced? I had read that Landau was aware that in French his name sounded like "L'âne Dau", which means the donkey Dau. However... in French his name isn't pronounced with a "L'âne" sound at all. I am therefore guessing he himself pronounced it as "L'âne Dau" where the Dau would be like Da - U with a U sounding like the "oo" in the English word "spooky"... but what is his name's origin...? So how is it pronounced?

You guys forgot Ångström. Probably Poisson, and many, many others. (Stern, Gerlach, Dirichlet)

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
How is Landau pronounced? I had read that Landau was aware that in French his name sounded like "L'âne Dau", which means the donkey Dau. However... in French his name isn't pronounced with a "L'âne" sound at all. I am therefore guessing he himself pronounced it as "L'âne Dau" where the Dau would be like Da - U with a U sounding like the "oo" in the English word "spooky"... but what is his name's origin...? So how is it pronounced?
His name is pronunced Landau (as spelled in English/German/French by transliteration from the original Russian) with an accent on the first sylable, [lan], so ['lan.daw], because it's a Jewish name, hence almost identical in pronunciation with German ones. Indeed, the final diphtong is nonexistent in French, so they may easily mispronunce it.

fresh_42 said:
I still hear "Fineman".
Absolutely.

Has anyone mentioned Euler ? (Yooler :doh: )

Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
I pronounce my name multiple ways, so I find the concept of a definitive pronunciation lacking. I also knew a person whose pronunciation changed when they moved to a new city. One should call a person what they want to be called.

Likes BillTre
hutchphd said:
Absolutely.

... despite the fact that they can pronounce it easily when it is a hockey team from Alberta!

• Haha
Likes Klystron and hutchphd
How about Schwarzschild? In English, I usually hear people say it ending in "child", but presumably German is "Schwarz schild", "Black shield".

Likes dextercioby
fresh_42 said:
I still hear "Fineman". The only assimilation from Yiddish to English was that the Roman and German "a" turned into an English "e" as in "then".
Yes I hear Fineman too

hutchphd said:
Absolutely.

Yep. He was You-ler before I heard someone say Oy-ler. I think the 'someone' was a maths person so I thought it must be right!

I think I had Riemann wrong as well, I had him as Ryeman not Reeman forgot my I and e rule.

EDIT. Remembered Ricci too, I thought it was Rick-ee, not Rich-ee

Last edited:
epenguin said:
Gregg's thread on most commonly misspelt science words reminded me that I wanted to post some time one on the most commonly mispronounced scientists' names. As well as famous names being invoked, they are often of course used for naming effects or units etc.

The absolute worst case is Huyghens. I cringe when I hear people think it has to be pronounced something like Hur-ee-ghens - really ugly. It's Dutch, but it's not as bad as that! Something like High-ghens is nearer, and would be a relief for everybody. van Leeuwenhoek similar - pronunciation like 'fan Live en hook'.

It struck me only now to wonder: couldn't the very official committees who laid down units terminology and definitions have standardised pronunciations? If they did I have never heard of it.

I had a thought earlier about what principles we should generally adopt for pronunciation. It seemed to me the best was not how it comes to you in your own language on the one hand. But on the other hand not quite as it is in the language of origin. That would lead to snobbishness and be impossible in the end. It seems to me a good principle could be pronounce it like somebody who knows how it should be pronounced in the original but does not pretend to do exactly that.

Even that, I have to admit, would be more a case of do what I say than do what I do. I have been thinking the words for so long that it has been difficult for me to mentally switch from Einstein to Einshtein. From Kirchoff pronounced Kerr Choff! like a sneeze to Keer hoff with a difficult German ch.

It's not always obvious that the case arises. For the time I thought the useful Sturm method should be Shtoorm, but it turns out he was French though the name was in origin Germanic so how should that be? Cotton, of the Cotton effect was French too, so pronunciation is not like English cotton, but more like Coe ton with stress on the second syllable which is nasal, difficult to get that right too.

Here is a list of some names I have often enough heard mispronounced (and as I say, am guilty myself).

Huyghens
Cotton
de Broglie
Einstein
Kirchhoff
Sturm
Mendeleev
Ampere
Bernoulli
Buchner, Bunsen
Celsius
Curie
Einstein
Fermat
Hertz
Kirchoff
van Leeuwenhoek
Jacobi
De Broglie. In English De brog -lee.

I heard Jim Al Kalili pronounce his name and was surprised!
Still not sure, I will have to watch the video again!

pinball1970 said:
De Broglie. In English De brog -lee.

I heard Jim Al Kalili pronounce his name and was surprised!
Still not sure, I will have to watch the video again!
Wikipedia has a sound sample. I didn't know he was French, so I mispronounced him, too. The sound sample sounds like "de Broy", i.e. "g" and "l" are silent.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and pinball1970
Prof Barry Simon:

" This model was suggested to Ising by his thesis adviser, Lenz. Ising solved the one-dimensional model, . . . , and on the basis of the fact that the one-dimensional model had no phase transition, he asserted that there was no phase transition in any dimension. As we shall see, this is false. It is ironic that on the basis of an elementary calculation and erroneous conclusion, Ising’s name has become among the most commonly mentioned in the theoretical physics literature. But history has had its revenge. Ising’s name, which is correctly pronounced “E-zing,” is almost universally mispronounced “I-zing."

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970 and hutchphd
fresh_42 said:
Wikipedia has a sound sample. I didn't know he was French, so I mispronounced him, too. The sound sample sounds like "de Broy", i.e. "g" and "l" are silent.
It is the bastardized pronunciation by the French of an Italian name.

• Informative
Likes fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
I think it is safe to say, if I have not heard another scientist say the same and he is not from the UK I am going to mess it up.
As soon as "ch" shows up, you're out. English is among the worst-prepared languages to pronounce anything. Even English is illogical. My favorite example by G.B. Shaw: ghut (pronounced: fish).

fresh_42 said:
My favorite example by G.B. Shaw: ghut (pronounced: fish).
Check your sources! I think you mean ghoti, and the attribution to G B Shaw is dubious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

• Informative
Likes fresh_42
Jonathan Scott said:
Check your sources!
Was a little book with anecdotes. (Or it was an English man who told me years ago.) And, yes, I somehow made the mistake "ghut" instead of "ghot" from the beginning. Strange thing this is. But the "i" at the end would already be too much information.

fresh_42 said:
It is worth pointing out that Louis de Broglie is a descendant of an ancient Italian aristocratic family -- the de Broglia family -- that settled in France in 1643. See the Wikipedia link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Broglie

In Italian, the "gli" pronunciation is what linguists refer to as a "voiced palatal lateral approximant", a sound that is similar to the "illi" part of the English word "million". This influenced the French pronunciation of de Broglie's name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_palatal_lateral_approximant

Likes dextercioby
epenguin said:

Huyghens
Cotton
de Broglie
Einstein
Kirchhoff
Sturm
Mendeleev
Ampere
Bernoulli
Buchner, Bunsen
Celsius
Curie
Einstein
Fermat
Hertz
Kirchoff
van Leeuwenhoek
Jacobi
It is worth pointing out that Dutch orthography can be very tricky for English speakers to get right, as the diphthong "uy" or "ui" in Dutch does not exist in English (as is the Dutch "g" sound).

Consider the Dutch pronunciation of Christiaan Huyghens in the click:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/ChristianHuygensPronunciation.ogg

Likes dextercioby
<h2>1. What are some common mispronunciations of famous scientists' names?</h2><p>Some common mispronunciations include "Einstein" as "EYE-n-steen" instead of "INE-stine," "Galileo" as "guh-LEE-oh" instead of "gah-LIL-ee-oh," and "Hawking" as "HAWK-ing" instead of "HAW-king."</p><h2>2. How can I avoid mispronouncing scientists' names?</h2><p>One way to avoid mispronouncing scientists' names is to listen carefully to how they pronounce their own names or to ask them directly for the correct pronunciation. You can also look up the correct pronunciation online or consult a pronunciation guide.</p><h2>3. Why are scientists' names often mispronounced?</h2><p>Scientists' names may be mispronounced due to their unfamiliarity or difficulty in pronunciation for non-native speakers. Additionally, some scientists' names may have multiple accepted pronunciations, leading to confusion.</p><h2>4. Are there any famous scientists whose names are commonly mispronounced?</h2><p>Yes, there are several famous scientists whose names are commonly mispronounced, including "Darwin" as "DAR-win" instead of "DAR-win," "Curie" as "KYOO-ree" instead of "KOO-ree," and "Descartes" as "DESS-kart" instead of "day-CART."</p><h2>5. What should I do if I accidentally mispronounce a scientist's name?</h2><p>If you accidentally mispronounce a scientist's name, simply apologize and make an effort to correct your pronunciation. It is always better to ask for the correct pronunciation rather than continuing to mispronounce someone's name.</p>

1. What are some common mispronunciations of famous scientists' names?

Some common mispronunciations include "Einstein" as "EYE-n-steen" instead of "INE-stine," "Galileo" as "guh-LEE-oh" instead of "gah-LIL-ee-oh," and "Hawking" as "HAWK-ing" instead of "HAW-king."

2. How can I avoid mispronouncing scientists' names?

One way to avoid mispronouncing scientists' names is to listen carefully to how they pronounce their own names or to ask them directly for the correct pronunciation. You can also look up the correct pronunciation online or consult a pronunciation guide.

3. Why are scientists' names often mispronounced?

Scientists' names may be mispronounced due to their unfamiliarity or difficulty in pronunciation for non-native speakers. Additionally, some scientists' names may have multiple accepted pronunciations, leading to confusion.

4. Are there any famous scientists whose names are commonly mispronounced?

Yes, there are several famous scientists whose names are commonly mispronounced, including "Darwin" as "DAR-win" instead of "DAR-win," "Curie" as "KYOO-ree" instead of "KOO-ree," and "Descartes" as "DESS-kart" instead of "day-CART."

5. What should I do if I accidentally mispronounce a scientist's name?

If you accidentally mispronounce a scientist's name, simply apologize and make an effort to correct your pronunciation. It is always better to ask for the correct pronunciation rather than continuing to mispronounce someone's name.