Does (1/n+1/ni) converge to zero?

• Thread starter gottfried
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a sequence with respect to a given metric, and the attempt at a solution involves finding a function for n in terms of ε to prove convergence.
gottfried

Homework Statement

Does the sequence [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]i converge to zero with respect to the metric d(z,w) = |z|+|w|.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I realize I want √([itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]2+[itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]2)=[itex]\frac{√2}{n}[/itex] to be less than ε. So for all n greater than [itex]\frac{√2}{ε}[/itex] the order [itex]\frac{√2}{n}[/itex]<ε will hold.

So using the definition for all ε>0 there exists and nε=[itex]\frac{√2}{ε}[/itex] such that m>n implies [itex]\frac{√2}{n}[/itex]<ε.

Is my technique correct? Is finding a function for n in terms of ε that always maintains the equality sufficient for a proof? If this is the case and ε is a real number how to we ensure that n is a natural number? Does n have to be natural number or can that condition just be put on m.

Physics news on Phys.org
gottfried said:

Homework Statement

Does the sequence [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]i converge to zero with respect to the metric d(z,w) = |z|+|w|.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I realize I want √([itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]2+[itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]2)=[itex]\frac{√2}{n}[/itex] to be less than ε. So for all n greater than [itex]\frac{√2}{ε}[/itex] the order [itex]\frac{√2}{n}[/itex]<ε will hold.

So using the definition for all ε>0 there exists and nε=[itex]\frac{√2}{ε}[/itex] such that m>n implies [itex]\frac{√2}{n}[/itex]<ε.

Is my technique correct? Is finding a function for n in terms of ε that always maintains the equality sufficient for a proof? If this is the case and ε is a real number how to we ensure that n is a natural number? Does n have to be natural number or can that condition just be put on m.

Looks ok. You generally choose n by just saying that it's an integer greater than [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{ε}}[/itex]. No need to worry about whether [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{ε}}[/itex] itself is an integer.

1. Does (1/n+1/ni) converge to zero?

The answer to this question depends on the value of i. If i is a constant, then yes, the expression will converge to zero as n approaches infinity. However, if i is also a variable that changes with n, then the answer may vary.

2. What does it mean for an expression to converge to zero?

When an expression converges to zero, it means that the value of the expression approaches zero as the variable(s) involved in the expression approach infinity. In other words, the expression becomes infinitely small.

3. How can we determine if (1/n+1/ni) converges to zero?

There are a few ways to determine if an expression converges to zero. One method is to use the limit definition of convergence, where you take the limit of the expression as the variable(s) approach infinity. If the limit is equal to zero, then the expression converges to zero. Another method is to use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression and see if it approaches zero.

4. Are there any exceptions to (1/n+1/ni) converging to zero?

Yes, there can be exceptions depending on the value of i. For example, if i is a negative or complex number, the expression may not converge to zero. Also, if i is a function of n that grows faster than n, the expression may not converge to zero.

5. Why is it important to know if an expression converges to zero?

Knowing if an expression converges to zero is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the expression as the variable(s) approach infinity. It can also help us make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.