Does (-2)^(⅔) have an imaginary component?

In summary, (-2)^{2/3} has 3 roots, with two complex roots and one real root. Some calculators choose the principal root while others choose the real valued root. This leads to a difference in how calculus books treat x^{2/3} in the negative x region of the real plane. Choosing the real valued root allows for simpler solutions in certain situations.
SafiBTA
Some calculators say (-2)2/3 is equal to ##-\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{3}}+i\frac{3^\frac{1}{2}}{2^\frac{1}{3}}## while others say its equal to ##4^{\frac{1}{3}}## i.e. ##|-\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{3}}+i\frac{3^\frac{1}{2}}{2^\frac{1}{3}}|##.

I think I am right to imply from above that (-2)2/3 does have an imaginary component. But if it is so, then why do many calculus books, while speaking about cusps, treat x2/3 as a real-valued function by plotting it in the negative x region of the real plane?

What did I miss?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually, [itex](-2)^{2/3}[/itex] has 3 roots. Two of them are complex and one is real. In fact, this is true for any positive x in [itex](-x)^{2/3}[/itex].

Some calculators choose
SafiBTA said:
Some calculators say (-2)2/3 is equal to ##-\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{3}}+i\frac{3^\frac{1}{2}}{2^\frac{1}{3}}##
because this is the principal root (smallest argument/angle in the complex plane).

Other calculators choose
SafiBTA said:
while others say its equal to ##4^{\frac{1}{3}}## i.e. ##|-\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{3}}+i\frac{3^\frac{1}{2}}{2^\frac{1}{3}}|##.
because this is the real valued root (second largest argument in complex plane).

and the final root is the complex conjugate of the principal root, which is

$$-\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{3}}-i\frac{3^\frac{1}{2}}{2^\frac{1}{3}}$$

Note that all of these roots have equal magnitude.

SafiBTA said:
I think I am right to imply from above that (-2)2/3 does have an imaginary component. But if it is so, then why do many calculus books, while speaking about cusps, treat x2/3 as a real-valued function by plotting it in the negative x region of the real plane?

What did I miss?
So you have 2 choices. You can choose the principal root or its conjugate for x<0 and be stuck with complex values, so you'll be dealing with complex values in your derivatives, or you can choose the real valued root and be able to answer the questions as they're expecting you to answer them. Your choice ;)

1. What is (-2)^(⅔)?

The expression (-2)^(⅔) is a mathematical operation known as raising a number to a fractional power. In this case, the base number is -2 and the exponent is ⅔.

2. Does (-2)^(⅔) have an imaginary component?

Yes, (-2)^(⅔) does have an imaginary component. This is because the base number (-2) is negative and the exponent (⅔) is a fraction, which results in taking the square root of a negative number. This results in an imaginary number as the solution.

3. How do you calculate (-2)^(⅔)?

To calculate (-2)^(⅔), you can use the formula a^(m/n) = √(a^m)^n. In this case, the base number is -2, the exponent is ⅔, and the formula becomes √((-2)^2)^3. This simplifies to √4^3, which is equal to 8.

4. Can (-2)^(⅔) be simplified?

Yes, (-2)^(⅔) can be simplified to 8. This is because the square root of (-2)^2 is equal to 2, and 2^3 is equal to 8.

5. Are there any real solutions to (-2)^(⅔)?

No, there are no real solutions to (-2)^(⅔). As mentioned earlier, taking the square root of a negative number results in an imaginary solution. Therefore, 8 is the only solution to (-2)^(⅔).