Does a unitary matrix have such property?

In summary: I have a better understanding now.In summary, the conversation discusses a property of unitary matrices and provides counterexamples to prove it is not always true. The conversation also mentions a standard result for normal matrices.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
I need prove a property of unitary matrices, but without success.
Hi. I'm learning Quantum Calculation. There is a section about controlled operations on multiple qubits. The textbook doesn't express explicitly but I can infer the following statement:

If ##U## is a unitary matrix, and ##V^2=U##, then ## V^ \dagger V=V V ^ \dagger=I##.

I had hard time proving it. I only can prove that if ##V## is reversible, then ##\left (V^ \dagger V \right ) \left ( V V ^ \dagger \right )=I##.

I hope the statement is true, otherwise my inference would be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
Summary: I need prove a property of unitary matrices, but without success...

If ##U## is a unitary matrix, and ##V^2=U##, then ## V^ \dagger V=V V ^ \dagger=I##...

It isn't true. Any involutive ##V## that isn't unitarily diagonalizable serves as a counterexample. Using blocked matrices, you can build up more complicated counterexamples from here.

Last edited:
StoneTemplePython said:
It isn't true. Any involutive ##V## that isn't unitarily diagonalizable serves as a counterexample. Using blocked matrices, you can build up more complicated counterexamples from here.
Thanks, StoneTemplePython. I have to review my inference. I must make some mistakes.

Haorong Wu said:
Thanks, StoneTemplePython. I have to review my inference. I must make some mistakes.

for an explicit example of this, consider
##\mathbf S = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 1 & 1\\0 & 1 & 1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{matrix}\right]##
## \mathbf D = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & -1\end{matrix}\right]##

and
##\mathbf V = \mathbf{SDS}^{-1} = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & -2\\0 & 1 & -2\\0 & 0 & -1\end{matrix}\right]##

you have

##\mathbf V^2 = \mathbf I = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{matrix}\right]##

but

##\mathbf I \neq \mathbf V^* \mathbf V = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & -2\\0 & 1 & -2\\-2 & -2 & 9\end{matrix}\right] \neq \left[\begin{matrix}5 & 4 & 2\\4 & 5 & 2\\2 & 2 & 1\end{matrix}\right] = \mathbf {VV}^*##
- - - -
an even easier counter example would be to just eyeball
##\left[\begin{matrix}1 & c\\ 0 & -1\end{matrix}\right]##
for some ##c \neq 0##
it is diagonalizable and all eigenvalues are -1 or +1, so when you square the matrix you get the identity matrix (which is unitary). But a Triangular matrix commutes with its conjugate transpose iff it is diagonal -- it would require ##c =0## here. This is a standard result for normal matrices and something worth proving to yourself.

StoneTemplePython said:
for an explicit example of this, consider
##\mathbf S = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 1 & 1\\0 & 1 & 1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{matrix}\right]##
## \mathbf D = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & -1\end{matrix}\right]##

and
##\mathbf V = \mathbf{SDS}^{-1} = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & -2\\0 & 1 & -2\\0 & 0 & -1\end{matrix}\right]##

you have

##\mathbf V^2 = \mathbf I = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{matrix}\right]##

but

##\mathbf I \neq \mathbf V^* \mathbf V = \left[\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & -2\\0 & 1 & -2\\-2 & -2 & 9\end{matrix}\right] \neq \left[\begin{matrix}5 & 4 & 2\\4 & 5 & 2\\2 & 2 & 1\end{matrix}\right] = \mathbf {VV}^*##
- - - -
an even easier counter example would be to just eyeball
##\left[\begin{matrix}1 & c\\ 0 & -1\end{matrix}\right]##
for some ##c \neq 0##
it is diagonalizable and all eigenvalues are -1 or +1, so when you square the matrix you get the identity matrix (which is unitary). But a Triangular matrix commutes with its conjugate transpose iff it is diagonal -- it would require ##c =0## here. This is a standard result for normal matrices and something worth proving to yourself.

Thanks, StoneTemplePython, with those detailed examples.

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix whose conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. In other words, if U is a unitary matrix, then U*U = I, where U* is the conjugate transpose of U and I is the identity matrix.

2. What properties does a unitary matrix have?

A unitary matrix has several important properties, including:

• It preserves the length of vectors, meaning that the norm of any vector multiplied by a unitary matrix remains the same.
  • It preserves the angle between vectors, meaning that the dot product of two vectors remains the same when multiplied by a unitary matrix.
  • It has eigenvalues with absolute value equal to 1.
  • It is always diagonalizable.

3. Can a unitary matrix have complex entries?

Yes, a unitary matrix can have complex entries. In fact, most unitary matrices have complex entries. However, the entries must satisfy the property that when multiplied by their conjugate, the result is equal to 1.

4. What is the relationship between unitary matrices and orthogonal matrices?

Unitary matrices and orthogonal matrices are closely related. In fact, an orthogonal matrix is a special case of a unitary matrix where all the entries are real numbers. This means that all orthogonal matrices are also unitary matrices, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

5. How are unitary matrices used in quantum mechanics?

Unitary matrices are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. In this field, they are used to represent quantum operations, which are transformations that map one quantum state to another. Unitary matrices are also used to represent quantum gates, which are basic building blocks for quantum circuits.