Does an electron beam bending lose energy by photon emission

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 4K views
houlahound said:
A non varying DC current in a wire would not emit EM but if the level changed then I expect it would.

A constant level DC current in a loop would not I expect emit EM but then I get tripped up because a circle motion implies acceleration and accelerating electrons radiate??

The device mentioned supplies a power to both the B field and the electrons, this power must compensate for radiative losses or the electrons would spiral out of a fixed radius...I'm so confused.

Did you read all the responses you were given? I could have sworn someone asked you to look up "synchrotron radiation". If you haven't, read this:

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~attwood/srms/2007/Lec08.pdf

Pay attention to page 3, and see what happen for v<<c, and compare that to v~c.

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jon B
Physics news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
A non varying DC current in a wire would not emit EM but if the level changed then I expect it would.

A constant level DC current in a loop would not I expect emit EM but then I get tripped up because a circle motion implies acceleration and accelerating electrons radiate??

The device mentioned supplies a power to both the B field and the electrons, this power must compensate for radiative losses or the electrons would spiral out of a fixed radius...I'm so confused.
I have the idea that a charged particle can be manipulated by electrostatic focusing and electromagnet lenses.
 
I looked up synch, it seemed less relavent so I read up on cyclotron instead which seems totally relevant.

Will follow your link tho.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jon B
ZapperZ said:
Did you read all the responses you were given? I could have sworn someone asked you to look up "synchrotron radiation". If you haven't, read this:

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~attwood/srms/2007/Lec08.pdf

Pay attention to page 3, and see what happen for v<<c, and compare that to v~c.

Zz.
I like the straight sections containing periodic magnetic structures to produce different effects.
 
All I get from the link is "about blank"What I understand of synch is linear acceleration with undulations nothing close to circular motion at constant tangential velocity that I can figure.