Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone have an idea for a self-study syllabus?

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    A very odd question... But never-the-less I need some help w/ my personal QM studies.
    I'm just a lowly freshman here at UCSB and suddenly discovered an urge to study quantum mechanics.

My roommate is a top-notch Physics grad working on his PhD, and he helps me with problem solving; but his teaching skills are garbage! (He hates teaching and refuses to do it).

I've been working out of Griffiths for about 2-3 weeks now, normalizing probability densities, solving simple problems like the infinite square-well. Suddenly I find the material getting much more difficult and I don't know how to approach learning it. Sure I can push through everything in my path, but I honestly don't know when I've studied it enough!

Anyone got some ideas about the duration of time I should be spending on each topic in Griffiths? I'm sure many will say that I should do it until I've mastered it, but I'm kind of looking for a practical university perspective on the subject; I have no way of knowing when I have or have not mastered the material!

Maybe outlining the math I should cover between sections would help me out a bit.

I have walls upon walls of Physics literature (I collect it... don't ask why...), so don't be afraid to recommend a book.

So far I've been using Boas 2nd edition for Math and Griffiths Intro to Quantum (vol 1) for the QM.

Ideally... (and I know it's a big request), if someone could outline a syllabus based on Griffiths or Greiner for about a quarter to 2 quarters worth of material, that would be absolutely wonderful. I would truly be in debt.

Thanks for the help in advance, guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jul 15, 2010 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Since you're apparently trying to learn the necessary math along with the physics, you might try a QM book that goes into more detail on the math. For example, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Understandin...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279215817&sr=1-1

I've used it for my QM course, with students whose math background tends to be shaky. It works out a lot of stuff explicitly and discusses problem-solving strategies. Some might say it goes too far in that direction, and in fact I sometimes have trouble finding a specific topic because there's so much detail. But you also have Griffiths which you can use for the "big picture."

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4
    Hmm Griffith's QM, let me guess, is it chapter 3 that is hard for you?

6. Jul 16, 2010 #5
    Chapter 3 isn't too bad, I have a very good set of notes on dual-spaces and Dirac notation.

I'm not having a hard time with the math; I just feel like I'm not going into great enough depths.

7. Jul 16, 2010 #6
    Holy crap I had this guy for my thermo class. Great guy, he won't let you leave his class without learning the material. Weird thing is, a lot of students dislike him BECAUSE he tries to be so helpful. He's also a join professor in the English department here at OU.

8. Jul 16, 2010 #7

What specifically is giving you trouble?

9. Jul 17, 2010 #8
    I'm having trouble approaching how to learn the material. I can essentially learn anything I read, the problem sets have seemed rather easy thus far.

I'd like to know points to pay close attention to, or maybe points I should seek a greater depth of understanding in beyond Griffiths. Maybe understanding enough math for Griffiths isn't enough, should I seek further knowledge at this introductory phase? Can I lay back on some topics?

Maybe I should just do all of Griffiths... But that's inconceivable for a summers work (it took me 3 weeks working 4-5 hours a day to pile-drive through the first 3 chapters and understand).

10. Jul 17, 2010 #9
    When I said that the material is getting more difficult, I was meaning to imply that it is taking greater lengths of time to comprehend.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook