Does anyone know a database for nth roots of unity

In summary, if you need to find roots of unity for numbers like 42, it is recommended to use a computer algebra system like Wolfram Alpha, Octave, or Sage Math instead of searching for a database.
dumbQuestion
I am typing up a latex document and I need to find roots of unity, lots of them, for numbers like say 42. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a database that had this stuff on hand rather than having to do it all by hand and worrying about having made some stupid algebra error.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of any tables or databases. I think your best bet would be a computer algebra system. Maybe try wolfram alpha?

You could use octave or sage math to compute them.

J.

dumbQuestion said:
I am typing up a latex document and I need to find roots of unity, lots of them, for numbers like say 42. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a database that had this stuff on hand rather than having to do it all by hand and worrying about having made some stupid algebra error.

Using Euler's formula, all you need is a good sine, cosine table.

1. What is a database for nth roots of unity?

A database for nth roots of unity is a collection of information about complex numbers that have a specific property. In this case, the property is that the number raised to the nth power equals 1.

2. Why do we need a database for nth roots of unity?

Having a database for nth roots of unity can be helpful in various mathematical and scientific applications. It provides a quick and easy way to find solutions to equations involving nth roots of unity, and can also aid in understanding patterns and relationships between these numbers.

3. How is a database for nth roots of unity created?

A database for nth roots of unity can be created by using mathematical formulas and algorithms to calculate and store the values of these numbers. It can also be compiled by manually inputting the values into a spreadsheet or other type of database software.

4. Where can I find a database for nth roots of unity?

There are various databases available online that contain information on nth roots of unity. One example is the Wolfram MathWorld website, which has a comprehensive database of complex numbers and their properties, including nth roots of unity.

5. How accurate is a database for nth roots of unity?

The accuracy of a database for nth roots of unity depends on the method used to create it. If the values are calculated using mathematical formulas and algorithms, they should be highly accurate. However, if the values are manually inputted, there may be a margin of error. It is always important to double check the information from a database with other reliable sources.