Does anyone know what program do professors use for creating PDFs?

In summary: Just look for either a plugin or independent software. There's no requirement you use the same software as your professor.
flyingpig
Like online pdfs, what do professors use? They look really compatible with LaTeX too

Computer science news on Phys.org
What do you mean "online pdf"?

I only get normal pdf from my uni.

You can get a number of free software packs that do it, they're like virtual printers.

You work in Open Office or Word and then print it to PDF.

NitroPDF, Adobe Acrobat (possibly reader) and PrimoPDF are the main ones I'm aware of.

If they are interactive online it's not so simple (book style) as that may require flash.

But some are really good with LaTeX too, does iWork have it?

I don't like MS's export pdf because it isn't very good with LaTeX, like I can't just drag and paste it from online latex to create my math document

flyingpig said:
But some are really good with LaTeX too, does iWork have it?

You awkward bugger.

Well the software for printing to PDF is addtional and you have to add it on. It doesn't come built in with word processors as far as I'm aware.

flyingpig said:
I don't like MS's export pdf because it isn't very good with LaTeX, like I can't just drag and paste it from online latex to create my math document

I didn't mention MS's ability. I'm not a fan either.

The software I mentioned are packages that simply print a document to PDF, nothing to do with Latex. These two things will be independent.

The word processor has to handle to Latex and once that displays it, you can use the software I mentioned to print it (like you would to paper) to a PDF document.

nitro and primo only converts it, which is useless, acrobat is the original right?

flyingpig said:
nitro and primo only converts it, which is useless, acrobat is the original right?

OK, you're not quite understanding this.

The software only produces PDF documents.

Handling Latex is nothing to do with the PDF software for printing.

Can you show me one of these online documents? I'm unfamiliar with them.

flyingpig said:

So what is special about it?

The creator uses a latex compatible program to produce the document and then one of the named pieces of software (or similar) to print it to a PDF. Two separate processes.

Ignoring latex for a minute, in MS Word you can use an equation builder. You would use this to produce the equations and then, as if you were printing it to paper, you would choose the software and instead print it to PDF.

So what exactly are you trying to achieve?

jarednjames said:
The creator uses a latex compatible program to produce the document and then one of the named pieces of software (or similar) to print it to a PDF. Two separate processes.

Yeah that's what I want, except it is easier and more efficient to use
Ignoring latex for a minute, in MS Word you can use an equation builder. You would use this to produce the equations and then, as if you were printing it to paper, you would choose the software and instead print it to PDF.

I know that method works, but I am much faster if I can just drag the images from Online Latex Editor to my document or even just type out the codes. Some codes on MS aren't comapatiable

flyingpig said:
Yeah that's what I want, except it is easier and more efficient to use

I know that method works, but I am much faster if I can just drag the images from Online Latex Editor to my document or even just type out the codes. Some codes on MS aren't comapatiable

Right, well that's got nothing to do with the PDF software. That's down to the word processing software used. It needs to be Latex compatible.

jarednjames said:
Right, well that's got nothing to do with the PDF software. That's down to the word processing software used. It needs to be Latex compatible.

Oh, so how do I find one that is LaTeX compatible?

flyingpig said:
Oh, so how do I find one that is LaTeX compatible?

You need something like the following for MS Word: http://texpoint.necula.org/

It's not free, but have a look for compatible latex plugins or software.

E.g. I just googled "ms word latex addon".

Additional: You can download Latex for windows and use it directly apparently.

So what do my professors use? I know it sounds like "how am I suppose to know?" kind of question, but just in general what do professors use?

flyingpig said:
So what do my professors use? I know it sounds like "how am I suppose to know?" kind of question, but just in general what do professors use?

Yes, you're right. That really is down to personal choice.

I have no idea.

Just look for either a plugin or independent software. There's no requirement you use the same software.

jarednjames said:
Additional: You can download Latex for windows and use it directly apparently.

You can? Is there a free one?

flyingpig said:
You can? Is there a free one?

It is free.

http://www.latex-project.org/
LaTeX is a high-quality typesetting system; it includes features designed for the production of technical and scientific documentation. LaTeX is the de facto standard for the communication and publication of scientific documents. LaTeX is available as free software.

You seem to have some misconceptions about what .pdf is: it's just a container for (fairly reproducible) documents and pictures.

It sounds like you want to use your word processor (Word, WordPerfect, Pages) to generate .pdf documents. The best I have found is PDFCreator (the open source one, not the other one that somebody attached a pricetag and copy protection to). It acts just like a print driver in Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

[itex]\LaTeX[/itex] requires you to learn some basic LaTeX scripting. That's what most engineering and science profs at my university use. However, sometimes you just want something quick and dirty--that's where a .pdf printer comes in handy.

In my lab, we use LaTeX on Windows and Linux systems. TeXLive for *nix, and I believe MikTeX for Win (with TeXnicCenter).

flyingpig said:
So what do my professors use?

Ask them! :smile:

As for me, I use a Mac. The ability to "print to PDF" is built into Mac OS, and is available in all applications that use the standard Mac OS printing dialog, as far as I know.

Attachments

• PF.pdf
    225.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
I just tried MikTex, but it won't let me open the saved pdf

flyingpig said:
I just tried MikTex, but it won't let me open the saved pdf

OK, once again you are confusing PDF with the native formats.

You can't do what you're trying.

You can create latex in the software that allows it and then print to PDF. Once printed, it doesn't store the latex code in the PDF. It's like a snapshot of what the page showed when you hit print. If you print the document on a piece of paper, the latex code doesn't go with it, just the image.

Put simply, you can't extract the latex from the PDF's because there's not latex to take out. A PDF is not that far from having a paper copy in front of you. For basic operation it's no different. If you can do it with a paper copy, you can do it with PDF. But that's about it.

PDFs are a document format based on PostScript. When you run latex on a tex file, it compiles it into a PDF.

It's analogous to using a compiled language: you write your .c/.cpp files, and compile then to .exes. You don't try to view your source from the exe; the sames goes with LaTeX and PDFs.

How do I compile it then?

flyingpig said:
How do I compile it then?

Compile what? It's "analogous to a compiled language", not is.

Please read back through. We're going in circles.

You make the original document in a latex compatible program (or directly in latex for windows/linux/mac etc) and then, you can use the software I listed previously to output it to a PDF document - which is the same as printing it, but instead of getting a paper copy you get a PDF.

An example would be typing a report in MS Word and then I could print it to PDF so I didn't have to send the original, editable version out.

But if I were to convert the tex into a pdf, wouldn't that just give out the codes?

flyingpig said:
But if I were to convert the tex into a pdf, wouldn't that just give out the codes?

What part of "it's the same as printing a paper copy" are you not quite getting?

What ever you see on a paper copy when you print it, is what you'll see on a PDF copy when you use the above software to print to PDF.

It's like a virtual printer.

1. What is the most common program used by professors for creating PDFs?

The most common program used by professors for creating PDFs is Adobe Acrobat. This program allows users to create and edit PDF documents with a variety of tools and features.

2. Can professors use free programs for creating PDFs?

Yes, there are several free programs that professors can use for creating PDFs, such as Foxit Reader, PDFCreator, and CutePDF. These programs offer similar features to Adobe Acrobat but may have limited capabilities.

3. Do professors need any special skills to use PDF creation programs?

No, most PDF creation programs have user-friendly interfaces that make it easy for anyone to create PDF documents. However, some advanced features may require some technical knowledge.

4. Are there any online tools that professors can use for creating PDFs?

Yes, there are several online tools available for creating PDFs, such as Smallpdf, PDFescape, and PDF Pro. These tools can be accessed from any device with an internet connection and do not require any software installation.

5. Can professors convert existing files into PDF format using PDF creation programs?

Yes, most PDF creation programs allow users to convert various file formats, such as Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations, into PDF format. This feature is particularly useful for professors who want to convert their lecture notes or assignments into PDFs for easy distribution.