Mastering SolidWorks: Tips and Tutorials for Beginners

• Thread starter justPAB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    solidworks
In summary, Solidworks is a powerful 3D CAD program that is easy to use, but it may take some time to learn the ropes. The built-in tutorials are a good place to start.
justPAB
I just got a copy of Solid Works and I would like to know if anyone has any experience using this program. I have non what so ever and I need tutorials and stuff to get the hang of the program. Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do the built in tutorials

Help -> Solidworks Tutorials

Check Youtube, there are loads of SolidWorks tutorials. In fact it's the software with maximum tutorials on internet and is easy to master.

I have used SWX for years and use it daily.

Just build stuff. After learning the basics through the tutorials, get some measuring tools (tape measure, dial calipers, etc.) and build objects you have around you. Starting with simple shapes.

There are some pointers the tutorials do not teach. Build your shapes symmetrically about the reference planes and origin in the parts environment as much as possible. This helps a lot when you begin building assemblies from your parts in the assembly environment. Extruding parts always defaults to "Blind", which extrudes from the profile out. Practice extruding from the "Mid Plane" for your base shapes.

I never learned much from the tutorials. It's mostly hands on learning to make the software do what you want.

Enjoy.

yaang said:
Do the built in tutorials

Help -> Solidworks Tutorials

I actually learned a great deal from the built-in tutorials. Also, Solidworks seems to be MUCH easier to master than, say, AutoCAD or Pro-Engineer (neither of which have any tutorials - go figure). If you do the tutorials and practice (perhaps by modeling car parts or something of that nature), you should be good in no time.

justPAB said:
I just got a copy of Solid Works and I would like to know if anyone has any experience using this program. I have non what so ever and I need tutorials and stuff to get the hang of the program. Please help.

For english learners especially, you can try to find good learning material from Ytube. Hit "solidworks tutorial" as a keyword.

Moreover, what kind of modeling are you looking forward to?

I bought some great tutorials a while back off a site. I can send them to you if you want. They helped me get used to all the features really quickly. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
justPAB said:

free Solidworks Tutorials

tutorial #2.1 introduction to solidworks

tutorial #2.1 sketching in solidworks

tutorial #2.2 sketching in solidworks

tutorial #3 3D modeling

tutorial #4 Make 2D drawing from 3D model

tutorial #5 mirror and pattern

tutorial #6 Revolved features and hand wheel design

tutorial #7 CosmosXpress stress analysis tool

I'm mechanical engineer and this is my blog

It takes 3 days to master solidworks. Wish other CAD software producers learned from SW interface.

Concentrate on solid modeling and assembly for now. Your next goal should be surfacing, dynamic analysis, weldments and sheetmetal

1. What is SolidWorks?

SolidWorks is a 3D computer-aided design (CAD) software used for creating and editing models and assemblies in the engineering and design fields.

2. Who uses SolidWorks?

SolidWorks is used by a wide range of professionals, including mechanical engineers, industrial designers, architects, and product designers, among others.

3. What are the benefits of using SolidWorks?

SolidWorks offers a user-friendly interface, powerful design tools, and advanced simulation capabilities, making it a popular choice for product development and design projects. It also allows for easy collaboration and data management.

4. Is SolidWorks difficult to learn?

While there is a learning curve involved with any new software, SolidWorks offers a range of resources and tutorials to help users become proficient in using the program. With practice and dedication, it can be mastered by individuals with various levels of technical expertise.

5. Can SolidWorks be used for 2D designs?

Yes, SolidWorks offers both 2D and 3D design capabilities. It allows users to create 2D sketches and drawings, as well as 3D models and assemblies, making it a versatile tool for a variety of design projects.