SolidWorks Sketching Visual Problem

In summary, the person is experiencing issues with SolidWorks while trying to sketch geometry. They have found that there may be a problem with the graphics settings and have turned off the "enhanced graphics" setting to solve the issue. Others have suggested that it may be related to dimension lines or tools being turned on during the sketching process.
AJSayad
TL;DR Summary
When I try to sketch geometry in solid works, it creates a lot of extra lines that do not go away until I snap back to the starting point of the line.
Hi Everyone,

I could use some help in SolidWorks, when I go to sketch geometry, the software creates a lot of lines that extend off the starting point and they don't go away until I snap back to the starting point. I have an image attached to show what is happening.
Line Problem.jpg

This creates a problem since the screen gets very messy and it becomes difficult to see things. Has anyone run into the problem before or have any ideas on how to fix it? I checked through the settings and couldn't find anything that would really cause it. Any help or advice would be great, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know nothing about SolidWorks but a quick search found this possibility:

pg 35 (48 on PDF) http://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.solidworks.com/sites/default/files/2020-05/Fundamentals3DDesign-SIM-ENG-SV.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiLqL24ker1AhWMD0QIHSP2AGYQFnoECAsQAg&usg=AOvVaw3Pjxo4HbUpW70EiHYSzMfM

Another possibility is those may be Dimension lines of some sort.

Try turning Off all the Tools in the program then turn On only those Tools you must have for the sketch you are doing.

Good Luck! (and please let us know what you find)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes AJSayad
I don't know solidworks either but I dabble in Blender. Those numbers are all lengths of the line segments extending from the origin. Is it possible you have a ruler or dimensioning tool turned on while you are orienting your space and it is treating every mouseclick as a measurement?

I see a feature in the menu called Smart Dimension.

Likes AJSayad and Tom.G
Hi Guys, thanks for the response! I did some digging online and after a long search I found out that it was a problem with one of the graphics settings. Deep in the settings of the software there is an "enhanced graphics" setting that apparently causes that issue sometimes. After turning it off it solved the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Likes Tom.G

1. What is SolidWorks Sketching Visual Problem?

SolidWorks Sketching Visual Problem is a common issue that occurs when using the SolidWorks software for creating 2D sketches. It involves difficulties in accurately drawing and manipulating lines, arcs, and other geometric shapes.

2. What causes SolidWorks Sketching Visual Problem?

The most common cause of this problem is incorrect settings or preferences in the software. This can include incorrect units, grid spacing, or snap settings. It can also be caused by outdated graphics drivers or hardware limitations.

3. How can I fix SolidWorks Sketching Visual Problem?

To fix this issue, first check your settings and preferences in the software. Make sure they are set to the correct units and spacing. If that does not solve the problem, try updating your graphics drivers or using a different computer with better hardware. You can also try using the troubleshooting tools within the software.

4. Is there a way to prevent SolidWorks Sketching Visual Problem?

Yes, there are steps you can take to prevent this problem from occurring. Regularly update your graphics drivers and make sure your computer meets the minimum hardware requirements for running SolidWorks. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the settings and preferences in the software to ensure they are set correctly.

5. Can I get help with SolidWorks Sketching Visual Problem?

Yes, there are resources available for getting help with this issue. You can consult the SolidWorks user manual or online forums for troubleshooting tips. You can also contact the SolidWorks support team for assistance with resolving the problem.