Does Black Light Really Exist?

• Thread starter DERRAN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, there is no such thing as black light in reality. Although there are lamps called 'blacklights' that emit mostly in the near ultraviolet range, they are not true black light. Black light would be the complete absence of light. However, certain computer scene-rendering software has a type of non-light beam that subtracts light instead of adding it, which is similar to black light. This has been used by Pixar in the past and is made of "darkons".
DERRAN
Hi I was just wondering if black light exists.

Science news on Phys.org
Well, you get these lamps called 'blacklights' that emit nearly no visible light, but mostly in the near ultraviolet range.

I assume however that you didn't mean those...? If so, no there is no such thing as black light. Black light would be dark, which would be the lack of light.

Yes, I see it in pictures and movies upon making the color inversion.

Bob.

Black is no light at all, just turn off the lights :D

Nick89 said:
there is no such thing as black light

No black lightsabers for the darkside users anytime soon, then? :frown:

There's no black light in reality, but I know that computer scene-rendering software has an interesting type of beam of non-light that may fit the bill. Pixar has used it in the past. It has most of the properties of a normal beam of light except instead of adding light, it subtracts it. It makes for a very strange effect.

DERRAN said:
Hi I was just wondering if black light exists.
Certainly. Is made of "darkons" :biggrin:

Related to Does Black Light Really Exist?

1. What is black light?

Black light is a type of light that is invisible to the human eye, but can make certain objects or substances glow. It is also known as ultraviolet (UV) light.

2. Does black light really exist?

Yes, black light does exist. It is a form of electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength shorter than that of visible light.

3. How is black light produced?

Black light is produced by special lamps or bulbs that emit UV light. These lamps contain a phosphor coating which converts the UV light into visible light, making objects appear to glow.

4. What are some practical uses of black light?

Black light has various practical uses, including detecting counterfeit money and documents, identifying bodily fluids at crime scenes, and sterilizing medical equipment. It is also used in certain types of photography and in night fishing to attract fish.

5. Is black light dangerous?

Black light itself is not dangerous, but prolonged exposure to UV light can be harmful to the skin and eyes. It is important to use caution and protective gear when using black light. Additionally, some substances that glow under black light, such as certain chemicals or minerals, can be toxic if ingested.