Does Cavitation Occur in a Beer Bottle Under These Conditions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
fayan77
Messages
84
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


##\rho##water = 1.94
a = variable
##\gamma## = 1.94(32.2) = 62.4
Pressure outside P1 = 2116 lb/ft3
Temp = 75 F
Pressure at bottom P2 = vapor pressure = 52.3 lb/ft3
Height = 6 inch = .5 ft
IMG_20180314_190013.jpg


Homework Equations



-##\nabla{p}-\gamma\hat{j}=\rho\hat{a}##

The Attempt at a Solution


direction of change in pressure is vertical going from bottom to top so it is ##\hat{j}##
I dot ##\hat{j}## with each term of -##\nabla{p}-\gamma\hat{j}=\rho\hat{a}##
then I obtain
-##\frac {dp} {dl}## - ##\gamma## = ##\rho##a
-(P1-P2)/.5 - ##\gamma## = ##\rho##a

solving for a i get 2159.7 ft/s2
does this make sense?
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20180314_190013.jpg
    IMG_20180314_190013.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
Great question!

I don't know the answer to it but was curious if other beers were used in the experiment.

Also how did the beer get replaced by water?