1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an equation for the flow velocity of a river that is parallel to the bottom as a function of the perpendicular distance from the surface. Apply the boundary conditions given and solve, and find the velocity at the surface. Note that the coordinates are: [itex]x[/itex] is the direction the water is flowing, [itex]z[/itex] is perpendicular to the river bed, and [itex]y[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]x[/itex] (so, [itex]y[/itex] is the cross-current). Consider the surface of the river to be [itex]z=0[/itex], and the bottom to be [itex]z = -h.[/itex]

The river is has a grade (slope) of 43cm per km. The water depth is [itex]2m[/itex]. The kinematic viscosity [itex]\mu/\rho = 10^{-6}m^2/s.[/itex] The vertical gravitational acceleration is [itex]g = 9.8 m/s^2.[/itex]

The given assumptions are:
    1. The flow obeys the Navier-Stokes equation for an incompressible flow.
    2. The current is steady.
    3. The density is uniform.
    4. The current is a parallel shear flow [itex]\vec{u}=u(z)\hat{e}^{(z)}[/itex].
    5. No fluid property varies in the direction parallel to the bottom[itex](x).[/itex]
    6. No fluid property varies in the cross-stream [itex](y)[/itex] direction.
    7. The gravity vector is [itex]-g\hat{e}^{'(z)},[/itex], where the prime indicates vertical in gravity aligned coordinates.
    8. At the river bottom, [itex]u=0[/itex].
    9. At the surface, [itex]du/dz = 0.[/itex]
    2. Relevant equations
    Navier stokes for incompressible fluid:
    [tex]\rho \frac{Du(z)}{Dt} =\rho g \hat{e}^{(x)}- \frac{\partial p}{\partial x} + \mu \nabla^2 u(z) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I've managed to simplify N-S by noting that
    [tex]\frac{\partial u(z)}{\partial t} = 0, \ \ \ \frac{\partial u(z)}{\partial x} = 0, \ \ \ \text{ so } \ \ \ \rho \frac{Du(z)}{Dt} =0,[/tex]
    [tex]\rho g_x = -\rho g \sin{\theta},[/tex]
    (I used [itex]\theta[/itex] as the grade/slope for now, so I wouldn't have to deal with messy numbers)
    [tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial x} = 0,[/tex]
    since pressure is a fluid property and does not vary in the parallel stream, and finally
    [tex]\mu \nabla^2 u(z) = \mu \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}u(z).[/tex]
    So, my pde is:
    [tex]\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial z^2} u(z) = \frac{\rho}{\mu}g\sin{\theta},[/tex]
    which I have solved as
    [tex]u(z) = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}z^2 + k_1z + k_2.[/tex]
    Then, I found that the constants were: [itex]k_2 = u(0),[/itex] and [itex]k_1 = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}g \sin{\theta}h + \frac{1}{h}u(0),[/itex] which makes my final equation
    [tex]u(z) = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}g\sin{\theta}z^2 + \left[\frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}g\sin{\theta}h + \frac{1}{h}u(0)\right]z + u(0).[/tex]
    Here is my problem: I next need to find [itex]u(0).[/itex] But when I sub in [itex]0[/itex] into my equation, I get:
    [tex]u(0) = u(0),[/tex]
    which is not very illuminating. Did I mess up my solution, or is there another way to find [itex]u(0)[/itex] that I am stupidly missing?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2
    I didn't check every last detail, but you need to make use of the fact that the shear stress is equal to zero at z = 0.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted