Does charge change with velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of velocity and motion on the mass and charge of a particle. It is explained that as a particle approaches the speed of light, its mass appears to increase and its charge strength may also increase. However, this is not the case as experiments have shown that the charge remains the same while the field strength may change due to Lorentz contraction. The concept of relativistic mass is also discussed and it is determined that it is more accurate to think of energy and momentum increasing rather than mass. Finally, the conversation ends with a question about the effects of velocity on gravitational force and the limitations of using Newton's equations at high velocities.
duordi
If object A travels close to light speed of light with respect to object B then object A will seem to have an increased mass as observed by B.

If A is also a charged particle will the charge strength be increased also or will it remain at its rest velocity field strength as determined by B?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. In fact one reason why length, time, etc. change with speed is to make sure that Maxwell's equations are "invariant" under change from one inertial frame of reference to another- and Maxwell's equation govern electromagnetic field strength.

Shoot! every time I think I am starting to understand this stuff it throws me a curve.

Does a field of a charged particle in motion have a Lorenz contraction?

duordi said:
Shoot! every time I think I am starting to understand this stuff it throws me a curve.

Yes, and this is actually very useful in understanding why there must be a magnetic force if electric charge is the same in every frame. If you want to better understand the relation between electromagnetism and relativity I recommend looking at this page (especially all the useful diagrams), which is adapted from a similar discussion in Purcell's undergraduate textbook Electricity and Magnetism.

I read the material and it all makes sense but it occurred to me you could explain the test charge response and the charges in the wire by replacing the Lorenz contraction with change in field charge magnitude due to a relativistic effects of a “charge in motion” principle.

That is to say instead of the moving charges being closer together with the same field strength, the charges are the same distance apart and the strength of the charges are increased.

The second thing I noted was that the charge field changes shape ( Lorenz contracts) when in motion.
So if a motionless charged particle A field strength is measured
and then the observer is accelerate to a velocity V, the field of A will contract in the direction of motion causing the field to weaken in the direction of motion and strengthen in a direction perpendicular to the direction of motion.

It would seem that a charged particle is similar to rest mass with gravity,
and that magnetic fields are similar to relativistic mass.

I assume this line of reasoning has been followed before and that it breaks down somewhere.

PS. I really enjoyed the reference material.

duordi said:
I read the material and it all makes sense but it occurred to me you could explain the test charge response and the charges in the wire by replacing the Lorenz contraction with change in field charge magnitude due to a relativistic effects of a “charge in motion” principle.

That is to say instead of the moving charges being closer together with the same field strength, the charges are the same distance apart and the strength of the charges are increased.

The second thing I noted was that the charge field changes shape ( Lorenz contracts) when in motion.
So if a motionless charged particle A field strength is measured
and then the observer is accelerate to a velocity V, the field of A will contract in the direction of motion causing the field to weaken in the direction of motion and strengthen in a direction perpendicular to the direction of motion.

It would seem that a charged particle is similar to rest mass with gravity,
and that magnetic fields are similar to relativistic mass.

I assume this line of reasoning has been followed before and that it breaks down somewhere.

PS. I really enjoyed the reference material.
Actually, that "line of reasoning" does not break down, but was contradicted by experiment. This was in fact Lorentz' theory to explain the null result of the Michaelson-Morley experiment: that the force of moving electrons strengthened just enough to "contract" one arm of the equipment as given by Lorentz' equation. It was a variation of The Michaelson-Morley experiment, Kennedy's experiment, that show that was NOT the case, leading to Einstein's theory that it was not just the material in the arm that contracted but space itself.

Also, this kind of directional dependence that you have noticed is another reason to drop the concept of relativistic mass. Don't think of mass as increasing relativistically either, just the energy and momentum.

The reason I was interested in relativistic mass is simple.

I was trying to determine if distant galaxies which are receding from us at a high velocity have a relativistic mass component causing an increase in the gravitational force they have on us.

GR does not have force equations only tidal fields and I do not know how to change this to something I can relate to in the real world, like a force or acceleration.

Newton’s equations do not work for near light speed velocities. .

Has the solution of this question already been completed with GR?

I am not capable to solve the GR equations.
Some day I hope to be able to solve GR equations, but until then I keep my interest alive by asking questions and learning as I go.

duordi said:

It is in fact the very fundamental Space-Time which we're living in that changes with Lorentz transformation, so everything relates to length, time, velocity...changes, but as one apple is still transformed into one apple, the charge of a particle will not change, although the charge density will. Mass doesn't change either, if not so, you'd be able to make a remote galaxy collapse just by moving yourself around!

1. Does charge change with velocity?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the charge of an object does change with velocity. As an object moves faster, its mass increases and its length contracts, which in turn affects its charge. However, this change is very small and is only noticeable at extremely high velocities.

2. What is the relationship between charge and velocity?

The relationship between charge and velocity is described by the Lorentz transformation equations, which are a set of mathematical equations that explain how physical quantities, including charge, change with velocity in the theory of relativity.

3. Does the change in charge with velocity have practical applications?

Yes, the effect of charge changing with velocity is very important in the study of particle physics and the behavior of particles at high velocities, such as those in particle accelerators. It is also relevant in the design of technologies such as particle detectors and nuclear reactors.

4. Can charge change with velocity in a vacuum?

Yes, charge can change with velocity even in a vacuum. The theory of relativity applies to all objects, including those in a vacuum, and therefore the change in charge with velocity would still be present.

5. Is the change in charge with velocity constant?

No, the change in charge with velocity is not constant. It depends on the velocity of the object and follows a mathematical relationship described by the Lorentz transformation equations. As the velocity approaches the speed of light, the change in charge becomes increasingly significant.