Does dot product always commute?

In summary, the dot product of vectors is commutative, but the dot product of orthogonal vectors is equal to 0. However, this may not apply to tensors in general, as the order of terms matters and can result in different values. The dot product, also known as the inner product, is strictly a scalar or zero rank tensor.
Pollywoggy
I thought the dot product was commutative but there must be something about it that I don't understand. Perhaps the dot product is commutative only for vectors and not for tensors generally?

In Kusse and Westwig, p70, it says that the order of terms matters because, in general,

[tex]\hat{e}_j \hat{e}_k\cdot\hat{e}_l[/tex] does not equal [tex]\hat{e}_l\cdot\hat{e}_j\hat{e}_k[/tex]

(the e's are all basis vector e's but I did not know how to show that)

[Kusse and Westwig, Mathematical Physics 2e (Wiley 2006)]

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized something, after posting my question. The reason the dot product is not generally commutative probably has to do with whether the vectors or tensors are orthogonal.
Is that it? I think what confused me was that the book uses subscripts j, k, and l. That should not have confused me but it probably did and I assumed orthogonality.

I do not know about tensors, but the dot product of vectors is commutative. However, the dot product of orthogonal vectors = 0

Pollywoggy said:
I thought the dot product was commutative but there must be something about it that I don't understand. Perhaps the dot product is commutative only for vectors and not for tensors generally?

In Kusse and Westwig, p70, it says that the order of terms matters because, in general,

[tex]\hat{e}_j \hat{e}_k\cdot\hat{e}_l[/tex] does not equal [tex]\hat{e}_l\cdot\hat{e}_j\hat{e}_k[/tex]

(the e's are all basis vector e's but I did not know how to show that)

[Kusse and Westwig, Mathematical Physics 2e (Wiley 2006)]

If your basis vectors are orthogonal, then the two expressions that you show are both zero, therefore equal. However, I am not sure what you mean by "dot product". If you mean "inner product" then it is strictly a scalar or zero rank tensor. The two expressions that you show are vectors (first rank tensors) pointing in different directions, one along "j" and the other along "k" so they are not generally equal.

You are correct in your understanding that the dot product is commutative only for vectors and not for tensors in general. The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity, representing the projection of one vector onto the other. This operation is commutative for vectors because the order in which the vectors are multiplied does not affect the resulting scalar value.

However, when dealing with tensors, which are mathematical objects that can represent physical quantities with multiple directions and magnitudes, the dot product is not always commutative. This is because the order in which the tensors are multiplied can affect the resulting tensor, as shown in the example provided from Kusse and Westwig.

It is important to note that the commutativity of the dot product is dependent on the properties of the mathematical objects being multiplied. In the case of vectors, the dot product is commutative because they are both one-dimensional and have the same direction. But for tensors, the dot product may not be commutative if the tensors have different dimensions or directions.

In summary, the dot product is not always commutative, and this is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics. It is important to understand the properties of the mathematical objects being multiplied in order to determine if the dot product will commute or not.

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding those products together.

2. What does it mean for the dot product to commute?

When we say that the dot product commutes, we mean that the order in which the vectors are multiplied does not affect the result. In other words, a·b = b·a, where a and b are vectors.

3. Does the dot product always commute?

Yes, the dot product always commutes. This is because the dot product is a commutative operation, meaning the order of the operands does not change the result.

4. What is an example of two vectors whose dot product does not commute?

An example of two vectors whose dot product does not commute is when one vector is a unit vector and the other is a zero vector. In this case, the dot product of the unit vector with the zero vector will always be zero, while the dot product of the zero vector with the unit vector will always be undefined.

5. Why is the commutativity of the dot product important?

The commutativity of the dot product is important because it allows us to simplify mathematical equations and make calculations easier. It also has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science, making it an essential concept to understand.