What happens to the electric field's phase upon reflection?

In summary: My question is... are they? Because if they are I can understand how he derives this conclusion without problems, but these amplitudes encompass the Fresnel coefficients, don't they? So they are not in general equal, which means the frequencies are not equal as well.Frequency is the one thing always preserved in any linear medium. Lambda can and does change, but not frequency.So, are the frequencies and the dot product \vec{k}_{\lambda}\cdot \vec{r} equal or not? If they are, how can I prove this keeping in mind the Fresnel coefficients? I believe I just need to understand better the assumption that the amplitudes are equal.
Gabriel Maia
I have a problem with the phase of an electric field as it is reflected by and transmitted through a dielectric interface.

At the boundary between the two media, all waves must exist simultaneously and the tangential component must be equal on both sides of the interface, right? Therefore for all time t and for all points on the interface we have that

[itex]\hat{n} \times \vec{E}_{i} + \hat{n} \times \vec{E}_{r} = \hat{n} \times \vec{E}_{t} [/itex]

where [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] is the unitary vector orthogonal to the interface plane and [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] is the electric field, meaning the indices i, r and t, 'incoming', 'reflected', and 'transmitted'.

The electric fields have the form

[itex]\vec{E}_{\lambda} = \vec{E}_{0,\lambda}\exp\left[i\left( \vec{k}_{\lambda}\cdot \vec{r} - \omega_{\lambda}\,t \right)\right][/itex]

I'm reading a text where the author says that [itex]\omega_{i}=\omega_{r}=\omega_{t}[/itex] and that [itex]\vec{k}_{i}\cdot \vec{r}=\vec{k}_{r}\cdot \vec{r}=\vec{k}_{t}\cdot \vec{r}[/itex]

and to prove so he starts by assuming that the amplitudes of [itex]\vec{E}_{0,\lambda}[/itex] are equal.

My question is... are they? Because if they are I can understand how he derives this conclusion without problems, but these amplitudes encompass the Fresnel coefficients, don't they? So they are not in general equal, which means the frequencies are not equal as well.

So, are the frequencies and the dot product [itex]\vec{k}_{\lambda}\cdot \vec{r}[/itex] equal or not? If they are, how can I prove this keeping in mind the Fresnel coefficients? I believe I just need to understand better the assumption that the amplitudes are equal. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Maia said:
I have a problem with the phase of an electric field as it is reflected by and transmitted through a dielectric interface.

At the boundary between the two media, all waves must exist simultaneously and the tangential component must be equal on both sides of the interface, right? Therefore for all time t and for all points on the interface we have that

[itex]\hat{n} \times \vec{E}_{i} + \hat{n} \times \vec{E}_{r} = \hat{n} \times \vec{E}_{t} [/itex]
doesn't sound right but for the moment I won't question it
where [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] is the unitary vector orthogonal to the interface plane and [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] is the electric field, meaning the indices i, r and t, 'incoming', 'reflected', and 'transmitted'.

[itex]\vec{E}_{\lambda} = \vec{E}_{0,\lambda}\exp\left[i\left( \vec{k}_{\lambda}\cdot \vec{r} - \omega_{\lambda}\,t \right)\right][/itex]
This is not the form of the reflected wave
I'm reading a text where the author says that [itex]\omega_{i}=\omega_{r}=\omega_{t}[/itex] and that [itex]\vec{k}_{i}\cdot \vec{r}=\vec{k}_{r}\cdot \vec{r}=\vec{k}_{t}\cdot \vec{r}[/itex]
This sounds much more resonable to me: Incident = reflected (with proper phase relationship) + transmitted.
and to prove so he starts by assuming that the amplitudes of [itex]\vec{E}_{0,\lambda}[/itex] are equal.

My question is... are they? Because if they are I can understand how he derives this conclusion without problems, but these amplitudes encompass the Fresnel coefficients, don't they? So they are not in general equal, which means the frequencies are not equal as well.
Frequency is the one thing always preserved in any linear medium. Lambda can and does change, but not frequency.
So, are the frequencies and the dot product [itex]\vec{k}_{\lambda}\cdot \vec{r}[/itex] equal or not? If they are, how can I prove this keeping in mind the Fresnel coefficients? I believe I just need to understand better the assumption that the amplitudes are equal. Thank you very much.
Don't know how much help I've given, hope some.

Likes Gabriel Maia
Gabriel Maia said:

I don't see any major issues up to this point.
Gabriel Maia said:
and to prove so he starts by assuming that the amplitudes of ⃗E0,λE→0,λ\vec{E}_{0,\lambda} are equal.
This is either wrong or just very bad notation. If the author is saying that the magnitude of the electric field of the incident, reflected, and transmitted waves are equal, then that statement is wrong.

Likes Gabriel Maia

1. What causes a phase change in the electric field upon reflection?

The phase change in the electric field upon reflection is caused by the change in direction of the wave as it bounces off a reflective surface. This results in a reversal of the direction of the electric field, which leads to a phase change.

2. Does the angle of incidence affect the phase change in the electric field upon reflection?

Yes, the angle of incidence does affect the phase change in the electric field upon reflection. The phase change is dependent on the angle of incidence, with a greater change in phase occurring at steeper angles of incidence.

3. How does the medium through which the wave is traveling affect the phase change in the electric field upon reflection?

The medium through which the wave is traveling can affect the phase change in the electric field upon reflection. In a medium with a higher refractive index, the wave will experience a greater phase change upon reflection compared to a medium with a lower refractive index.

4. Can the phase change in the electric field upon reflection be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the phase change in the electric field upon reflection can be controlled or manipulated. This can be achieved by using materials with specific optical properties, such as thin films or metamaterials, which can be designed to induce a desired phase change upon reflection.

5. How is the phase change in the electric field upon reflection related to the phenomenon of interference?

The phase change in the electric field upon reflection is closely related to the phenomenon of interference. When two or more waves reflect off a surface and interfere with each other, the phase difference between the waves plays a crucial role in determining the resulting interference pattern. The phase change upon reflection can lead to constructive or destructive interference, depending on the relative phase of the reflected waves.