Does dW/dx = Fx and dW/dy = Fy?

• I
  • Thread starter annamal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Work
In summary, the author is discussing the use of the dot product in conservative forces. If the vectors involved are parallel to the displacement, then the result of the dot product is always parallel to the displacement. However, this is done out of convenience, as there is still a one-dimensional problem.
annamal
Since dW = F dot product dr
dW/dr = F
So dW/dx = Fx
and dW/dx = Fy?

I am looking at conservative forces where dU/dx = Fx and dU/dy = Fy

Physics news on Phys.org
annamal said:
Since dW = F dot product dr
dW/dr = F
So dW/dx = Fx
and dW/dx = Fy?

I am looking at conservative forces where dU/dx = Fx and dU/dy = Fy
Those should be partial derivatives.

Likes Charles Link
If ## U ## stands for potential energy, there is a minus sign on each of the partial derivatives to give the component of the force.

Likes vanhees71
The work is not a function of position. There is no "work at a specific point". I don't think that these derivatives make sense. This is why we introduce potential energy, which is a function of position.

Likes weirdoguy and vanhees71
annamal said:
dW/dr = F
That cannot be right. There are an infinite amount of vectors ##\textbf{F}## that can give the same amount of work ##\partial W## given the displacement ##d\textbf{r}##. It is all a matter of what is the angle between the 2 vectors.

The dot product is more than a simple multiplication, it is an addition of products.

##\vec{F} \cdot \mathrm{d} \vec{r}=F_x \ \mathrm{d}x + F_y\ \mathrm{d}y##

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara
jack action said:
That cannot be right. There are an infinite amount of vectors ##\textbf{F}## that can give the same amount of work ##\partial W## given the displacement ##d\textbf{r}##. It is all a matter of what is the angle between the 2 vectors.

The dot product is more than a simple multiplication, it is an addition of products.
Angle between F and dr is 0 for dW = F*dr

nasu said:
The work is not a function of position. There is no "work at a specific point". I don't think that these derivatives make sense. This is why we introduce potential energy, which is a function of position.
but if dW = F*dl, integrating work we must get a function of position because of dl and the F (force) function may have position variables as well.

Of course you can have a potential only for "conservative forces", i.e., the line integral between a fixed point ##\vec{x}_0## and the variable point ##\vec{x}## over the force, ##\vec{F}(\vec{x})## must be independent of the path.

In single connected regions of space that's the case if ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F}=0##. Then there exists, in this case, at least locally a potential ##V## such that ##\vec{F}=-\vec{\nabla} V##, and then the work along an arbitrary path from ##\vec{x}_1## and ##\vec{x}_2## is given by ##\Delta W=-[V(\vec{x}_2-V(\vec{x}_1)]##.

Likes Charles Link
annamal said:
but if dW = F*dl, integrating work we must get a function of position because of dl and the F (force) function may have position variables as well.
Sorry, this does not make sense. At least, not to me. But what you call "dW" is not a differential in general.

annamal said:
Angle between F and dr is 0 for dW = F*dr
If this is your assumption then you are working with one dimension only ... so what are Fx and Fy in your OP?

jack action said:
If this is your assumption then you are working with one dimension only ... so what are Fx and Fy in your OP?
You can have a one-dimensional problem where both ##F_x## and ##F_y## are nonzero.

Mister T said:
You can have a one-dimensional problem where both ##F_x## and ##F_y## are nonzero.
if ##x## and ##y## represents dimensions, don't you have 2 dimensions?

I recall that the OP stated that both the force and the displacement are parallel in post #7. So if we assume ##d\textbf{r}## is along the ##x## direction, and that ##\textbf{F}## is parallel to ##d\textbf{r}##, what could be the magnitude of ##\textbf{F}_y## but zero? What is the meaning of ##y## at all if there is no displacement or force along that axis?

jack action said:
I recall that the OP stated that both the force and the displacement are parallel
Correct. And that direction, as you say, is chosen to be along the x-axis. But that is done out of convenience, in other words we use only one dimension because we have a one-dimensional problem.

If instead we had chosen the x-axis to be some other direction, then we could have a situation where both ##F_x## and ##F_y## are nonzero. But we still have the same one-dimensional problem.

Mister T said:
Correct. And that direction, as you say, is chosen to be along the x-axis. But that is done out of convenience, in other words we use only one dimension because we have a one-dimensional problem.

If instead we had chosen the x-axis to be some other direction, then we could have a situation where both ##F_x## and ##F_y## are nonzero. But we still have the same one-dimensional problem.
I understand that, but if the resultant of ##F_x## and ##F_y## is guaranteed to be parallel to the displacement, it is completely useless to add a second reference axis (In the problem at hand, that is). You could still add the z-axis to include the third dimension of space and it wouldn't add more information to the problem either, just more confusion.

The dot product is used to ensure that the work is only composed of force components being multiplied by the corresponding displacement component, in the same direction. If the resultant force is known to always be parallel to the resultant displacement, all you need is a simple product (because there is only one dimension to consider), so why the need to split the force into two components?

If the OP wants to state that ##\frac{dW}{dr} = F##, then he should replace ##\frac{dW}{dx} = F_x## by ##\frac{dW_x}{dx} = F_x## and ##\frac{dW}{dy} = F_y## by ##\frac{dW_y}{dy} = F_y##, Where ##dW = dW_x + dW_y##. Which is what you essentially stated in post #6. But I'm not sure what is gained by splitting everything into two components when the resultant product is already easily known.

Once more: You must not forget that this ONLY holds, if ##\vec{F}## is conservative, i.e., if there is a potential ##V## such that ##\vec{F}(\vec{x})=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x})## or, equivalently at least locally, if ##\vec{d} x \cdot \vec{F}## is an exact differential one-form.

Likes Charles Link and nasu
jack action said:
I understand that, but if the resultant of Fx and Fy is guaranteed to be parallel to the displacement, it is completely useless to add a second reference axis (In the problem at hand, that is). You
That's why I stated that it's a matter of convenience. Not necessity.

The OP premise is faulty. And so are the later assumptions like that the angle is zero in general.
Even for one dimensional case the Fdr can be positive or negative. We have 1D problems with friction, don't we?
But this is irelevant to the OP. You cannot make sense of the relationship F=dW/dx, for example. No matter how many dimensions you use.
If you want the force at x=x1, for example (F(x1)), what work are going to consider in order to find this force? There is no such think as work at point x1. There is potential energy at a point but not work.
@Vanhess71 already showed the right relationships a couple of times.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link and vanhees71

1. What is the meaning of dW/dx and dW/dy?

The notation dW/dx and dW/dy represents the partial derivatives of the work function W with respect to the variables x and y, respectively. These derivatives measure the rate of change of W as x and y are varied, while keeping all other variables constant.

2. How is dW/dx related to Fx?

dW/dx and Fx are equal because they both represent the force acting in the x-direction. In physics, force is defined as the rate of change of work, so dW/dx and Fx are essentially two different ways of expressing the same concept.

3. Can dW/dx and Fx be different?

In most cases, dW/dx and Fx will be equal. However, there are some situations where they may differ. For example, if the force acting in the x-direction is not constant, then dW/dx will vary while Fx remains constant. Additionally, if there are other forces acting in the system, dW/dx may include their contributions while Fx only represents the force in the x-direction.

4. What is the relationship between dW/dx and dW/dy?

dW/dx and dW/dy are independent of each other, meaning that one does not affect the other. They represent the rates of change of the work function W with respect to different variables, so they are not directly related.

5. How is dW/dx calculated?

dW/dx is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative. This involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0, and finding the slope of the tangent line at that point. In other words, dW/dx is the instantaneous rate of change of W with respect to x at a specific point.