1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does electric fields affect a compass

1. Jun 16, 2016 #1
    By electitc field, i do not mean the magnetic field produced by a current carrying wire, but rather between charged particles. If a compass is placed between the electric field, will the compass needle delfect or will it just continue pointing in the initial direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2016 #2
    If there doesn't exist magnetic field, then the needle will not be affected, will it? So just static charges I think won't move the needle, for they provide electric field only.

4. Jun 16, 2016 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

E field might induce surface charge on the needle. Don't know if you are meant to consider that possibility.

5. Jun 16, 2016 #4
    Right...I really forgot this situation. However if he emphasize the "electric field" not the "charge," I think the answer is still the same?

6. Jun 16, 2016 #5

David Lewis

Gold Member

As far as motor action, magnetic force is much stronger than electrostatic force unless you are dealing with high voltages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted