Does entanglement describe continuity at the micro level?

In summary, entanglement occurs when two particles interact and their quantum states become entangled, but they do not continue to interact with each other until a third particle interacts with them. This is different from the concept of quantum superposition, which is illustrated by Schroedinger's cat.
negativzero
I'm a new poster; I hope don't violate rules or policy.
Am I wrong, or is the rule essentially that a particle isn't finished interacting with the last particle on it's world path unless and until it interacts with a third? This isn't what I might have guessed about physical continuity, but it seems to be the gist of it.
An entangled particle that has been transported miles reminds me of Shrodinger's cat riding in an effectively "impervious to everything box."
Am I not getting this? Is every particle entangled until it arrives at the next interaction in it's world path?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are not getting this correctly. Entanglement occurs when two particles interact with each other and become "entangled" in the sense that their quantum states become entangled with each other. This means that any measurement made on one of the particles will affect the state of the other particle. However, this does not mean that the two particles continue to interact with each other until a third particle interacts with either of them. In fact, once the entangled particles are separated, they will no longer be interacting with each other, and they will behave independently. This is different from Schroedinger's cat, which is a thought experiment used to illustrate the concept of quantum superposition. In this thought experiment, a cat is placed in a box with a radioactive atom and a vial of poison. If the atom decays, the vial of poison opens and kills the cat. Because the decay of the atom is a quantum event, the cat is in a superposition of states - it is both alive and dead until the box is opened and the state of the atom is observed. This thought experiment has nothing to do with entanglement.

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other particle, even when physically separated.

2. How does entanglement relate to continuity at the micro level?

Entanglement is believed to be a fundamental property of the universe and plays a crucial role in understanding the concept of continuity at the micro level. It allows for the transfer of information and energy between particles, creating a continuous connection between them.

3. Can entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and is not observable in everyday life. It requires highly controlled experiments in a laboratory setting to be observed.

4. What are the implications of entanglement for our understanding of the universe?

Entanglement challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect, as it allows for instantaneous communication and action between particles regardless of distance. It also has potential implications for quantum computing and secure communication.

5. Is entanglement the same as interconnectedness?

No, entanglement is a specific phenomenon in quantum mechanics, while interconnectedness refers to the interconnected nature of all particles in the universe. Entanglement is just one aspect of the larger concept of interconnectedness.