Does ether exists?

• Thread starter RoughRoad
  • Start date
During the 19th century, it was proposed that light travels through vacuum in the presence of a pseudo medium known as ether. But does it really exist? Is there any evidence whether it exists or not?
The ether conceived in the 19th century probably does not exist. But empty space is most likely a medium. A medium that does not interact with anything we know of yet, not even light. This medium is more evasive than neutrino, which has a mass. Experiments using light to prove or disprove existence of this medium will always fail. Only things that interact with space medium are fields, electric/magnetic/gravitational fields. Inverse square laws are an indication.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
The ether conceived in the 19th century probably does not exist. But empty space is most likely a medium. A medium that does not interact with anything we know of yet, not even light. This medium is more evasive than neutrino, which has a mass. Experiments using light to prove or disprove existence of this medium will always fail. Only things that interact with space medium are fields, electric/magnetic/gravitational fields. Inverse square laws are an indication.
Unless you can provide citations for this, you are asserting it as a personal theory, which is forbidden.

If we assume Ether exists the strange think is lot of unknown could be explained by the Ether.
I disagree. I think that the aether has less explanatory power than Einstein's postulates. With Einstein's postulates time dilation of EM, weak, and strong interactions is explained, and it easily generalizes to gravity. With aether the time dilation of EM can be explained, but weak and strong interactions have to be added as ad hoc assumptions, and gravity is not an obvious generalization to me.