Does extending a boom arm increase load on the cymbal stand fulcrum?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter karate718
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fulcrum General
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
karate718
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am a drummer and have a question in regards to mounting my cymbals. If you have a look at this picture to give a frame of reference: https://www.americandrumschool.com/store/images/boom%20stand%20BS-70D.jpg .

Thy cymbal mounts on the top where the black felts are. My question is, if I extend the length of the boom arm, does that make the joint/fulcrum at the top of the vertical part of the stand work harder?

Thank you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The joint (pivot) would certainly have a harder time of keeping the boom in place.

Strictly speaking, we wouldn't say it's "working harder"; no movement is taking place so no "work" is being done. More correctly, a bigger "turning moment" (or torque) is being encountered at the joint.
 
Got it. Thank you. So by keeping the boom as short as possible I am decreasing the wear and tear on the the joint.
 
karate718 said:
Got it. Thank you. So by keeping the boom as short as possible I am decreasing the wear and tear on the the joint.

Theoretically, yes. However, if you've bought reasonably decent stands, then they'll have been designed to withstand the torque encountered at full extension, and to withstand the repeated adjustments and disassembly/reassembly caused by heavy gigging.

I really wouldn't worry about it.