Does f(x) being continuous affect |f(x)| being continuous and vice versa?

• Thread starter LilTaru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, for the given statements, it is required to prove or give a counterexample for each statement. For statement (a), it needs to be shown that if f(x) is continuous, then the function |f(x)| is also continuous. For statement (b), it needs to be shown that if |f(x)| is continuous, then the function f(x) is also continuous. A counterexample for statement (b) is f(x)= 1 if x\le 0, f(x)= -1 if x< 0. However, the proof for statement (a) is still unclear and requires further exploration.
LilTaru

Homework Statement

Prove or give a counterexample for each of the following statements:

a) If f(x) is continuous, then the function |f(x)| is continuous.

b) If |f(x)| is continuous, then the function f(x) is continuous.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sure I have read the solution somewhere, but cannot think of it for the life of me. I am pretty sure if f(x) is continuous so is |f(x)|, but not the other way around... I just don't know how to prove it!

Physics news on Phys.org
if f is continuous, and g is continuous, f o g is continuous. Use a delta-epsilon argument for this and set f's epsilon to g's delta.. et c

b is false. try f ( x ) = 1 when x >= 1 and -1 when x < 1

A couple of questions:

1) Does that mean for (a) I have to prove f(|f(x)|) is continuous?

2) For (b) I have no idea where to go from here...

It says in my textbook f o g is only continuous if g is continuous at c and f is continuous at g(c)...

LilTaru said:

Think of f(x)=signum(x)

LilTaru said:

In [tex]f\circ g[/tex] from the theorem set: [tex]g(x)=\mbox{your }f(x),[/tex] and [tex]f(y)=|y|[/tex]

If in the problem statement its says "continuous" it probably means "continuous everywhere".

LilTaru said:
A couple of questions:

Of course not! This has nothing at all to do with f(|f(x)|)! You have to show that if f(x) is continuous then |f(x)| is continuous. That is what it says and that is what it means!

Consider f(x)= 1 if [itex]x\le 0[/itex], f(x)= -1 if x< 0.
(That's the same as arkajad's suggestion earlier.)

I solved part (b)... but part (a) is still giving me problems... I don't know how to prove if f(x) is continuous |f(x)| is continuous. I know that if f(x) is continuous everywhere and |f(x)| is the values of f(x) >= 0, then |f(x)| is continuous, but how do I prove this?

1. Is a continuous function always guaranteed to have a continuous absolute value?

No, a function being continuous does not necessarily mean that its absolute value will also be continuous.

2. Can a function have a discontinuous absolute value but still be continuous?

Yes, a function can have a discontinuous absolute value but still be continuous. This is because the absolute value function is not continuous at points where the input crosses the x-axis.

3. What is the relationship between continuity of a function and its absolute value?

The continuity of a function and its absolute value are related, but not always in the same way. A continuous function does not always have a continuous absolute value, but a discontinuous function will always have a discontinuous absolute value.

4. Does the continuity of a function's absolute value depend on the continuity of the function itself?

Yes, the continuity of a function's absolute value does depend on the continuity of the function itself. If the function is continuous, then its absolute value will also be continuous. But if the function is discontinuous, then its absolute value will also be discontinuous.

5. Can a function have a continuous absolute value but be discontinuous?

No, a function cannot have a continuous absolute value and be discontinuous. The absolute value function is always continuous, so if a function's absolute value is continuous, then the function itself must also be continuous.