Epsilon-delta continuity proof

In summary: The definition of continuity I'm using is that a function is continuous at ##x_0## if and only if ##\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists \delta > 0 \forall x \in dom(f) [|x-x_0|< \delta \implies |f(x) - f(x_0) < \epsilon|]##.In summary, the author is trying to find a definition of continuity for a function, and he is confused about independence of variables.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x}## is continuous using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We will assume that the domain of ##f## is ##\mathbb{R} / \{ 0\}##. Let ##x_0## be in the domain. First, we look at ##\displaystyle |f(x) - f(x_0)| = \frac{|x-x_0|}{|x||x_0|}##. The problem I now see is with the denominator. We need to get a bound for ##\frac{1}{|x|}## that does not depend on ##x##. I am not exactly sure how I would go about doing this... Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of continuity of ##f(x)## at ##x_0\,?## I seems you confused continuity and uniform continuity. In other words: What makes you think, that ##\delta ## has to be independent of ##x_0\,?##

fresh_42 said:
What is the definition of continuity of ##f(x)## at ##x_0\,?## I seems you confused continuity and uniform continuity. In other words: What makes you think, that ##\delta ## has to be independent of ##x_0\,?##
I don't think that ##\delta## is independent of ##x_0##. I'm just trying to show that it is continuous. In fact, I haven't formally learned about uniform continuity yet.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I don't think that ##\delta## is independent of ##x_0##. I'm just trying to show that it is continuous. In fact, I haven't formally learned about uniform continuity yet.
Well, that's the difference: ##\delta ## independent of ##x_0## then uniform continuous, if not, as with ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}## then ordinary continuity. Nevertheless we need a definition. And the bounds for ##x_0## is ##x_0## itself. It is a fixed value, and with it, ##x## cannot be very different from it. You don't have (and need) independence of ##x_0##.

The definition of continuity I'm using is that a function is continuous at ##x_0## if and only if ##\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists \delta > 0 \forall x \in dom(f) [|x-x_0|< \delta \implies |f(x) - f(x_0) < \epsilon|]##.

Could we start with an easier one? Suppose I wanted to prove that ##x^2## is continuous at 2. So we first look at ##|x^2 - 4| = |x+2||x-2|##. So we need to get a bound on ##|x+2|##. How is this done?

Last edited:
It's sometimes helpful to start from behind. Say ##|x^2-4|=|x+2||x-2| < |x+2|\cdot \delta < (\delta + 4)\cdot \delta < \varepsilon## is what we want to get. Now search for a ##\delta ## which does it, if ##\varepsilon## is given.

The same with ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}##. Write ##x_0=c## and treat it as a constant. You might eventually need to distinguish between points in ##(-1,0) \cup (0,1)## and the ones with ##|x_0| > 1##.

fresh_42 said:
It's sometimes helpful to start from behind. Say ##|x^2-4|=|x+2||x-2| < |x+2|\cdot \delta < (\delta + 4)\cdot \delta < \varepsilon## is what we want to get. Now search for a ##\delta ## which does it, if ##\varepsilon## is given.

The same with ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}##. Write ##x_0=c## and treat it as a constant. You might eventually need to distinguish between points in ##(-1,0) \cup (0,1)## and the ones with ##|x_0| > 1##.
What if I supposed that ##|x-2|<1##, and so ##|x| < 3##, which means that ##|x+2| < |x| + 2 < 5##? The thing is, my book does this to get a bound, but I'm not sure why. It goes on to claim that I should let ##\delta = \min \{1, \epsilon / 5 \}##, which I also don't understand.

Mr Davis 97 said:
What if I supposed that ##|x-2|<1##, and so ##|x| < 3##, which means that ##|x+2| < |x| + 2 < 5##? The thing is, my book does this to get a bound, but I'm not sure why. It goes on to claim that I should let ##\delta = \min \{1, \epsilon / 5 \}##, which I also don't understand.
We have to get to ##|x^2-4| \stackrel{(*)}{<} \varepsilon##. We know ##|x-2| < \delta##. This means combined, we have to prove ##|x+2|\cdot \delta < \varepsilon##. Now if ##|x+2|<C## for some constant, we're done, because then we have ##|x^2-4|< C \cdot \delta ## and with ##\delta := \varepsilon \cdot C^{-1}## we get ##(*)##.

The minimum value for ##\delta## is only to guarantee the inequalities with ##\delta < 1## and then ##|x+2| < 5## and then ##|x^2-4| < C\cdot \delta = 5 \cdot \delta < \varepsilon ##.

All that counts is: ##\lim_{x \to x_0} f(x) = f(x_0)##. So for a given, fixed, but arbitrary small ##\varepsilon##, a ##\delta ## must be found, such that ##|x-x_0| < \delta## implies ##|f(x)-f(x_0)| < \varepsilon##. Which delta is chosen and how doesn't matter. The implication must hold. If in doubt, make it smaller.

Mr Davis 97 said:
The definition of continuity I'm using is that a function is continuous at ##x_0## if and only if ##\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists \delta > 0 \forall x \in dom(f) [|x-x_0|< \delta \implies |f(x) - f(x_0) < \epsilon|]##.
Close, but not quite right. You shouldn't have absolute values around the whole last inequality. It should be ##|f(x) - f(x_0)| < \epsilon##
Mr Davis 97 said:
Could we start with an easier one? Suppose I wanted to prove that ##x^2## is continuous at 2. So we first look at ##|x^2 - 4| = |x+2||x-2|##. So we need to get a bound on ##|x+2|##. How is this done?

1. What is an epsilon-delta continuity proof?

An epsilon-delta continuity proof is a mathematical technique used to rigorously prove the continuity of a function at a certain point. It involves defining an error margin (epsilon) and a small interval around the point (delta), and then showing that for any value within that interval, the function's output is within the error margin.

2. Why is the epsilon-delta continuity proof important?

The epsilon-delta continuity proof is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way of proving that a function is continuous. It allows us to confidently make statements about the behavior of a function at a specific point, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. What is the difference between pointwise and uniform continuity?

Pointwise continuity refers to the continuity of a function at each individual point, while uniform continuity refers to the continuity of a function across an entire interval. Uniform continuity is a stronger condition, as it requires the function to be continuous at every point in the interval, not just a specific point.

4. How do you use the epsilon-delta continuity proof?

To use the epsilon-delta continuity proof, you must first define your function and the point at which you want to prove continuity. Then, choose an error margin (epsilon) and a small interval around the point (delta). From there, you must show that for any value within the interval, the function's output is within the error margin. This can be done through algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning.

5. What are some common strategies for proving continuity using the epsilon-delta method?

Some common strategies for proving continuity using the epsilon-delta method include using the definition of continuity, manipulating the inequality involving epsilon and delta, and using the properties of limits. It is also helpful to draw a graph of the function and visualize how the values of epsilon and delta relate to the function's behavior at the point of interest.