Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does glucose in its cyclic structure react with HI ?

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    does glucose in its cyclic structure react with HI to form CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3?
    (open chain structure of glucose reacts with HI to form CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2
    I believe so, yes. I think that the glucose would be reduced and would give n-hexane.
    It has been a while since I've looked at anything like this (which is bad since I have a final coming up), but I believe that an O-C bond would break and hydroxyl groups would lyse off from there. I know that that isn't very technical.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One and a quarter megajoules per mole of glucose says it doesn't.

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4
    Could you explain why not?

6. Nov 26, 2014 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do rocks not rise into the air from a position of rest on the ground? You're pushing a partially oxidized carbon chain "uphill" to a fully reduced, higher energy state (~1.25 MJ/mole higher) with an extrememly weak reducing agent, HI. It does not work.

7. Nov 26, 2014 #6
    Unless you use a catapult. I agree that HI by itself will not reduce it, you are correct. With an input of energy (heat) though?

8. Nov 26, 2014 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can take (almost) any organic molecule as a feedstock and turn it into (almost) any other organic molecule with enough energy. Yield and expense will kill you, not unlike synthesizing gold from lead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook