Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does gravity vary with velocity?

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    Einstein calculated that the bending of light around a body is twice the value that Newton calculated. My impression is that this is due to the curvature of space which is velocity dependent.

Does this mean that a projectile passing the sun at close to the speed of light would be measured as being gravitationally accelerated at almost twice the value that Newtonian gravity would predict?

Put another way, would it also mean that a slow moving body would experience a weaker gravity than a fast moving body?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=AJPIAS000053000007000661000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&ref=no [Broken] paper should answer your question exactly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. May 26, 2010 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To which I linked in post #2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jun 3, 2010 #5
    Thanks, the abstract of the paper did answer my question. I'm also amazed that you were able to relate my question to that paper.

It is not required but it would have been nice to have browsed the whole paper.

Thanks
    Zman

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook