Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does heightening a sofa increase strain in the centre?

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    Hi, I was wondering.... if by heightening a sofa (150cm in length approx) from floor level by about 20-30 centimeters, would increase, or could potentially increase the strain in the centre of a sofa when people sit on it?
    I have a long sofa, that was raised and I notice that my sofa is sagging in the middle when my boyfriend and I sit on it- this has only happened since it was raised. Is this because it has been heightened?
    It reminds me a bit of physics and bridges I did at school a while ago-but I can remember very little and I was never very good at physics! I need expert knowledge- obviously, I won't have my sofa heightened in future, if it is more likely to sag and break when sitting on it!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2
    First of all, it depends on how your sofa contacts the floor. Is it just four feet, one in each corner? Or is there some support in the middle? If it is just four feet, then as long as all the feet are on the floor (supports, raises, whatever) then the amount it sags will not change when you raise it.

However, if it does sag, then it won't have the floor under it to stop the sagging after a few cm. Maybe you could consider improvising a simple support in the center of the sofa so it doesn't sag (whether you raise it or not).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook