Does ice do work when it melts or freezes?

• Thread starter Saippo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Work
In summary, when ice melts, it doesn't change its volume, but work is done as atmospheric pressure pushes away the surrounding air.
Saippo
Since when you freeze liquid water, there's an expansion, wouldn't that mean there's work?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of work?

delta W = pAs = pV so a change of volume would indicate a change of work wouldn't it?

Yep ice does work when expanding.
It pushes some atmosphere away...
A thought like that turns up in the definition of enthalpy.

A little disclaimer: The energies in this(only for ice not other enthalpy stuff) are absolutely pathetico0).

Saippo said:
delta W = pAs = pV so a change of volume would indicate a change of work wouldn't it?
Right. In this way, work is dependent on volume. So ice does work when it's expanding. Work is simply the energy required to do something--and the ice is obviously using energy to melt. Actually, it's increasing in energy as it melts.

EDIT: Oh, Tazerfish beat me to it.

I guess what sort of made me wonder about it is when ice melts, the volume doesn't actually change..right? So no work. But if you freeze liquid water, ice expands. So work done?

Ice doesn't change the volume when melting ?:confused:
Of course it does.
So the outside does work on the ice.

Saippo said:
I guess what sort of made me wonder about it is when ice melts, the volume doesn't actually change..right? So no work. But if you freeze liquid water, ice expands. So work done?
Water has a lesser volume than ice.

Ooh alright! I was reading a line in my textbook completely wrong. Ah that was dumb Thanks!

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Right. In this way, work is dependent on volume. So ice does work when it's expanding. Work is simply the energy required to do something--and the ice is obviously using energy to melt. Actually, it's increasing in energy as it melts.

EDIT: Oh, Tazerfish beat me to it.
Not only did he beat you to it, but his answer is correct, and yours isn't. Most of the energy involved in melting has nothing to do with the work done by atmospheric pressure. Also, ice receives work from the atmosphere in contracting; it doesn't expand when it melts.

Likes SammyS and ProfuselyQuarky
Chestermiller said:
Not only did he beat you to it, but his answer is correct, and yours isn't. Most of the energy involved in melting has nothing to do with the work done by atmospheric pressure. Also, ice receives work from the atmosphere in contracting; it doesn't expand when it melts.
I wasn't talking about pressure. I was talking about volume. And I never said ice expands when it melts.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I wasn't talking about pressure. I was talking about volume. And I never said ice expands when it melts.
Work is equal to ##\int{P_{ext}}dV##, where, in this case, ##P_{ext}## is atmospheric pressure. So a change in volume in melting ice is accompanied by work being done. This is a small part of the heat of melting.

Tazerfish said:
A little disclaimer: The energies in this(only for ice not other enthalpy stuff) are absolutely pathetico0).

It is still able to burst pipes and cause plumbers headaches though :-p

Likes Tazerfish

1. How does ice do work when it melts or freezes?

When ice melts or freezes, it undergoes a phase change from solid to liquid or liquid to solid. This involves a rearrangement of the molecules within the substance, which requires energy. This energy is known as latent heat and is responsible for the work done by ice during the phase change.

2. Does ice do positive or negative work when it melts?

Ice does positive work when it melts. This means that it requires energy to break the bonds between the molecules and change its phase from solid to liquid. This energy is absorbed from the surroundings, causing the temperature to decrease.

3. Can ice do work when it freezes?

Yes, ice can do work when it freezes. When liquid water freezes, it releases energy in the form of heat, which can be used to do work. This is why ice can be used to cool drinks or preserve food.

4. How is work done by ice related to its state of matter?

The work done by ice is related to its state of matter because it is a result of the phase change between solid and liquid. When ice melts, it absorbs energy and does positive work. When it freezes, it releases energy and does negative work. This work is necessary for the molecules to rearrange and change their state.

5. Can ice do work without changing its state?

No, ice cannot do work without changing its state. Work is only done when there is a change in energy or motion, which occurs during a phase change. However, ice can transfer thermal energy to its surroundings without changing its state, such as when it is used to cool drinks or keep food cold.