Does Initial Velocity Effect Gravitational Accleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity. It is determined that initial velocity does not affect the acceleration a mass receives. Additionally, the conversation touches on Newton's observations about inertial systems and the impact of Special relativity on this concept. Lastly, the conversation concludes with a discussion about the experience of zero gravity for an astronaut when the rocket engines stop producing thrust.
WCOLtd
Does it's initial velocity effect the acceleration a mass receives due to the gravitational field?

If two bodies of equal mass were moving towards a massive body, and they started at the same radius from the surface but one went at 10 times the velocity of the other, when the bodies impact the surface would (Vf-Vi) of the faster body be less than that of the slower body of mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
WCOLtd said:
Does it's initial velocity effect the acceleration a mass receives due to the gravitational field?
No. f = GMm/r² so it is not a function of v.

WCOLtd said:
If two bodies of equal mass were moving towards a massive body, and they started at the same radius from the surface but one went at 10 times the velocity of the other, when the bodies impact the surface would (Vf-Vi) of the faster body be less than that of the slower body of mass?
Yes. The faster projectile will impact the planet in a shorter amount of time. Since a = Δv/Δt the smaller Δt implies a smaller Δv for the same a.

This is in fact the most basic of Newton's observations about inertial systems. His law in basis claims that the amount of force needed to similarly accelerate an object from no movement is the same as from any higher movement (relative a specific observer).
However this important Newtonian claim has been challenged by Special relativity, which asserts that mass increases with velocity. If this is so, when objects are thrown in speeds closer to the speed of light greater amount of force would be needed to accelerate them and thus vf-Vi would be noticeably smaller for the higher vf object.

Thank Dale; that was the answer I was looking for.

I have a followup question;

Does an astronaut experience zero g's the instant the rocket engines stop producing thrust?

WCOLtd said:
I have a followup question;

Does an astronaut experience zero g's the instant the rocket engines stop producing thrust?
As soon as the rocket engines stop the astronaut is in free-fall and would be able to "float" around the cabin.

Thank you so much, that's a huge help. I had thought that the vector of opposing velocity creates a force, I understand now that that is wrong.

I'm going to post blog on gravity, perhaps you could look it over and see whether I've got any wrong.

I just posted it it's entitled "Gravitational Kinematics Part I; Inertial Definitions"

1. How does initial velocity affect gravitational acceleration?

The initial velocity of an object does not affect its gravitational acceleration. Gravitational acceleration is a constant, meaning it remains the same regardless of an object's initial velocity.

2. Is there a relationship between initial velocity and gravitational acceleration?

No, there is no direct relationship between initial velocity and gravitational acceleration. However, initial velocity can affect an object's trajectory and the distance it travels under the influence of gravitational acceleration.

3. Does a higher initial velocity result in a higher gravitational acceleration?

No, the initial velocity of an object does not determine its gravitational acceleration. Gravitational acceleration is solely determined by the mass of the object and the strength of the gravitational force acting on it.

4. Can initial velocity change the direction of gravitational acceleration?

No, the direction of gravitational acceleration is always towards the center of mass of the object exerting the gravitational force. The initial velocity of an object may affect its trajectory, but it does not change the direction of gravitational acceleration.

5. How can the initial velocity of an object affect its gravitational acceleration?

The initial velocity of an object can affect its gravitational acceleration indirectly by determining the distance the object travels under the influence of gravitational force. A higher initial velocity may result in a longer distance traveled, but it does not impact the actual acceleration due to gravity acting on the object.