Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does iron react into gas phase?

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    I'm looking at iron contamination on silicon and I'm wondering if, at high temperature (1400 K), and in a hydrogen atmosphere, should I expect some iron to change to gas phase?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2

uby

Both iron and silicon have measurable vapor pressures at elevated temperatures. I wouldn't expect iron or silicon to appreciably react with hydrogen, if that's your question.

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    My goal is to figure out how much iron will remain in the silicon and how much will transfer to gas phase in a high temperature silicon epitaxy chemical vapor deposition reaction.

I know there will be some degree of ferrosilicon formation. Do you think these might vaporize in significant amounts?

I'm thinking the large majority of the iron will remain in and diffuse throughout the silicon, but I'm trying to find a way to verify this analytically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook