Does iron react into gas phase?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for iron contamination to change to gas phase in a high temperature silicon epitaxy chemical vapor deposition reaction. Both iron and silicon have measurable vapor pressures at elevated temperatures, but it is not expected for them to react with hydrogen. The goal is to determine the amount of iron that will remain in the silicon and how much will transfer to gas phase. There is a possibility of ferrosilicon formation, but it is believed that the majority of the iron will remain in and diffuse throughout the silicon. The speaker is seeking a way to analytically verify this.
pa5tabear
I'm looking at iron contamination on silicon and I'm wondering if, at high temperature (1400 K), and in a hydrogen atmosphere, should I expect some iron to change to gas phase?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Both iron and silicon have measurable vapor pressures at elevated temperatures. I wouldn't expect iron or silicon to appreciably react with hydrogen, if that's your question.

My goal is to figure out how much iron will remain in the silicon and how much will transfer to gas phase in a high temperature silicon epitaxy chemical vapor deposition reaction.

I know there will be some degree of ferrosilicon formation. Do you think these might vaporize in significant amounts?

I'm thinking the large majority of the iron will remain in and diffuse throughout the silicon, but I'm trying to find a way to verify this analytically.

What is the chemical formula for iron gas?

The chemical formula for iron gas is Fe.

At what temperature does iron react into gas phase?

Iron reacts into gas phase at a temperature of 1538 degrees Celsius.

What are the physical properties of iron gas?

Iron gas is colorless, odorless, and has a density of 7.874 g/L at standard temperature and pressure.

What are the uses of iron gas?

Iron gas is primarily used in the production of steel and as a reducing agent in various industrial processes.

Is iron gas toxic?

Iron gas is not considered toxic, however it can displace oxygen in the air and cause suffocation if inhaled in high concentrations.