Does it get better after school?

• Thread starter nbaggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the person is an ex-navy nuke who is currently back in school and trying to get into a mechanical engineering program. They were inspired to pursue engineering after working with civilian engineers in the navy. Although they feel fairly intelligent, they are struggling with some classes and are unsure if the job will be better after graduation. They enjoyed working with machines in the navy and are looking for industries that allow them to be hands-on, such as civil engineering or electrical engineering. They believe that the concepts they learn in college will be helpful in their future career.
nbaggs
I'm an ex-navy nuke currently back in school and trying to get into a mechanical engineering program. I want to go into engineering because while I was in the navy I worked side by side with a lot of civilian engineers and it seemed like they enjoyed their work. It also didn't seem like something that is out of my ability to learn. I'd like to think I'm fairly intelligent, but the kids I'm up against and some of the classes I'm taking are kicking my butt. I can't ever remember one of the Shift Test Engineers stopping to calculate a rate constant, or needing to figure out a double integral. I know, theoretical foundation is important, but once I make it through school, is this engineering thing going to get better? My job in the navy was analogous to being a technician/operator and I really enjoyed working with machines (although I didn't much care for military life.) Is mechanical engineering for me?

I guess a related question would be, what industries should I look into where I can still get my hands dirty rather than sit behind a desk all day. The obvious one that I'm looking into is working for a utility. Are there others that I should look at?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like Engineering and you want to get your hands dirty, then you should look into civil engineering or electrical engineering. The concepts that you learn in college will help you once you are out in the work force.

1. What is meant by "Does it get better after school?"

"Does it get better after school?" is a common question that refers to the idea of life improving after graduation from high school or college. This can include aspects such as finding a job, building relationships, and overall happiness.

2. Is there evidence to support the idea that life gets better after school?

While everyone's experiences may be different, there is research that suggests life does improve after school. A study by Clark University found that overall well-being increases with age, and a report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed that higher levels of education are associated with higher earnings and lower unemployment rates.

3. What factors can contribute to life getting better after school?

There are many factors that can contribute to life improving after school. These include gaining new skills and knowledge, having more control over one's own life, and being able to make independent decisions. Additionally, building a strong support system and pursuing meaningful goals can also contribute to a better post-school life.

4. Are there any challenges that may arise after school?

While life after school can bring many positive changes, there may also be challenges that arise. These can include adjusting to a new routine, finding a job, and managing financial responsibilities. It is important to be prepared for these challenges and seek support when needed.

5. How can I make sure that life gets better after school?

While there is no guarantee that life will automatically get better after school, there are steps that can be taken to increase the chances of a positive post-school experience. This can include setting achievable goals, building a strong support system, and continuously learning and growing. It is also important to maintain a positive attitude and be open to new opportunities and experiences.