Does it matter what school I get my Master's at?

In summary, the accelerated program at my school may not be the best fit for you if you're interested in a specific field of study. However, if you're looking for a more general introduction to biomedical engineering, the program may be worth your while.
Mddrill
My school has a 5 1/2 year masters program. You do a 4 year bachelors and you can a masters in 3 semesters instead of four. However, my school does not have many professors which specialize in what interests me, and there is another school nearby which has a lot of professors who specialize in what interests me.

Is it worth the extra semester of school to do a program with professors that specialize in what interests me? or does this kind of thing not matter if I'm only getting a masters and not a Ph.D.?

The field is Biomedical engineering and what interests me is applying biomedical engineering to problems in neurology, psychiatry, and psychology.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be wise to go to the school with the more esteemed professors especially since you'll be looking for a job at some point and this esteem can help you win out over other candidates. Also having taken courses from them, you might consider getting a PhD and you will then be well positioned to proceed.

Also Biomedical Engineering is kind a cross-over field and some companies may still be thinking biologist or engineer for their positions and look at you as a half biologist / half engineer candidate when they really want a whole biologist / whole engineer where whole actually means they've had more courses in their respective field than a half would have. The masters should help you in this regard.

Last edited:
Mddrill said:
Is it worth the extra semester of school to do a program with professors that specialize in what interests me?

Yes.

This is kind of like buying a pair of pants that aren't a perfect fit for you just because they're on sale.

I know it's nice to take advantage of an accelerated program, but if it's not getting you what you want then there isn't a lot of point in doing it. That said you may also have to consider the larger picture. If you need a basic introduction to the biomedical engineering field and this course offers that, and you would have to cover that if you go elsewhere anyway, then it may be worth your while.

1. Does the prestige of the school matter when getting a Master's degree?

The prestige of the school can matter depending on your career goals. Some employers may value degrees from more prestigious schools, but ultimately, it is your skills and experience that will matter most in the job market.

2. Will attending a higher-ranked school improve my chances of getting a job?

Attending a higher-ranked school may give you access to more opportunities and resources, but it is not a guarantee of job placement. Employers often prioritize relevant skills and experience over the ranking of the school.

3. Are there any benefits to attending a less expensive school for a Master's degree?

Attending a less expensive school for a Master's degree can save you money in the long run and still provide a quality education. It may also allow you to graduate with less debt, giving you more financial freedom after graduation.

4. Does the specialization of the school matter for my Master's degree?

The specialization of the school can be important depending on your field of study. Some schools may have a stronger reputation or specific resources for certain fields, so it is important to research and choose a school that aligns with your career goals.

5. Will attending a school with a larger alumni network benefit me in my career?

Attending a school with a larger alumni network can provide valuable networking opportunities, but it is not the only factor that will impact your career. Building your own professional network and developing strong skills and experiences will also play a significant role in your career success.