Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does J go to inf when v goes to c?

1. Jul 10, 2009 #1
    In SR, does the current become infinite when the velocity of the charge approaches c?

I'm thinking it doesn't because of the SR Lagrangian for a charged particle:
    [tex]L = -\frac{m c^{2}}{\gamma} - q \phi + q \vec{v} \cdot \vec{A}[/tex]
    doesn't have a gamma in the qv term.

Another way of putting this is: Does the four current equal the charge times the four velocity?

Thanks for your responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi GiftOfPlasma! :wink:
    Yes. :smile:

4. Jul 11, 2009 #3
    So the Lagrangian should be:
    [tex]L = -\frac{m c^{2}}{\gamma} - q \phi + q {\gamma} \vec{v} \cdot \vec{A}[/tex]

Thanks,

5. Jul 11, 2009 #4
    No, it shouldn't. The original one is ok, but you've probably lost [tex]c[/tex] somewhere. I do not know what you mean by 4-current... 4-current density? If so recall that the volume is also contracted is SR.

6. Jul 11, 2009 #5
    Ok, I think I see what is going on, the original Lagrangian is for a charged particle.
    The classical particle is always a point, so it doesn't contract.
    Furthermore, the number of particles in a volume is the same in all reference frames.
    The volume is contracted with respect to an observer moving relative to the volume.
    So the relativistic observer sees a higher charge density and current density than a non-relativistic observer.

I found a good explanation here:
    http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/jk1/lectures/node16.html" [Broken]

Thanks for the effort.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook