Does light travel at different speeds?

In summary, the EPFL team has demonstrated that they can slow down light signals by a factor of 3.6, and they've also shown that light can travel faster than 300 million meters per second in "extreme conditions." These results are important because they open the way for future super fast all-optical routers.
Burnsys
Controlling the Speed of Light -- Up and Down
http://www.primidi.com/2005/08/20.html

Hi!, i read everywere that someone has "Slowed down" light, speeded it past the speed of light etc.

This is exactly what the EPFL team has demonstrated. Using their Stimulated Brillouin Scattering (SBS) method, the group was able to slow a light signal down by a factor of 3.6

On the other hand, they also did create "extreme conditions in which the light signal traveled faster than 300 million meters a second."
As they don't give any numbers for this upper limit, you have to trust them. Anyway, these results are important because they were achieved using off-the-shelf optical fibers, opening the way for future super fast all-optical routers

Correct me if i am wrong, but, isn't the speed of light a constant?
When the light is "slowed down" it actualy never slows down, it is just absorbed by the atoms and then emited, but light never slow down.

I am tied of this kind of articles, each time they are out, you have a lot of people totaly confused about light and special relativity

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The exact speed of light depends on the type of medium it's propagating in.

eg. c=3e8 m/s in a vacuum.

Though I could be wrong here - this is just what I understand by it...

right but can light travel in other medium that is not a vaccum?

I mean what medium is a piece of glass?? a collection of atoms, can light travel inside an atom? can light propagate on mater?

Edit: This was discused here before: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122920

Last edited:
The simple answer is yes photons only ever travel at C. The mechanism of refraction is complicated, though.

i heard c=c/n
where n is the refractive index of the material it is propagates through

air= 1.0003
water=1.4

dont know if this is correct

Burnsys said:
Controlling the Speed of Light -- Up and Down
http://www.primidi.com/2005/08/20.html

Hi!, i read everywere that someone has "Slowed down" light, speeded it past the speed of light etc.

Correct me if i am wrong, but, isn't the speed of light a constant?
When the light is "slowed down" it actualy never slows down, it is just absorbed by the atoms and then emited, but light never slow down.

I am tied of this kind of articles, each time they are out, you have a lot of people totaly confused about light and special relativity

Generally speaking the speed that the light propagates through matter is slower.

I think the idea that they might light travel faster is misleading. Wasn't it only the phase velocity that they were able to accelerate? The phenomenon was accomplished with x-rays some 60 years ago.

dimensionless said:
Generally speaking the speed that the light propagates through matter is slower.

I think the idea that they might light travel faster is misleading. Wasn't it only the phase velocity that they were able to accelerate? The phenomenon was accomplished with x-rays some 60 years ago.

I know, but, what is matter? an electron? an atom? a proton?? does light really propagates through matter?? can light travel through a proton or an electron? or it's just absorbed and emited? in the last case it's not traveling through mater the photon just ceased to exist and later it was created again. ( i think )

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 186,282 miles per second.

2. Does light always travel at the same speed?

In a vacuum, light always travels at the same speed. However, when light passes through a medium such as air or water, it can be slowed down or sped up.

3. How does the speed of light change in different mediums?

The speed of light in a medium is determined by its refractive index, which is a measure of how much the medium slows down light. For example, the refractive index of water is 1.33, meaning that light travels 1.33 times slower in water than in a vacuum.

4. Can light travel faster than its maximum speed in a vacuum?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all energy, matter, and information in the universe can travel.

5. Why is the speed of light considered a universal constant?

The speed of light is considered a universal constant because it is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or position. This is a fundamental principle in physics known as the principle of relativity.