Does Moore's Law Impact the Durability and Sustainability of Electronic Devices?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CaptainOrange
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law Moore's law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
CaptainOrange
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi there, I tried to perform on a search on this forum but couldn't find a thread which answered my question.

Is there any risk or known principles applicable to Moore's Law in terms of physical durability and sustainability of function?

For small devices; would materials degrade faster, break more easily and are they more vulnerable to elements and accidental damage?

I'm just comparing my Iphone 5 and Iphone 4 in each hand. It feels like the Iphone 4 will survive a knock to the floor and being run over by a car, whereas, the iphone 5 seems way to lightweight and feels like I can literally snap the material if I had enough force...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Moore's law doesn't work any more for the past 15 years. It used to be "double the size and frequency every year" then they told "it has always been: double the size every 18 months" and since the Core 2 nearly nothing has improved. A few more cores for which I have no use.

If Intel and Amd want to sell new Cpu they would better offer improved performance, not just random incompatible changes in the footprint.
 
Moore's law doesn't apply to handheld phones, only integrated circuits.