Does my quartic have complex roots

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a quartic equation and determining the roots, including two complex roots. The solution is confirmed to be correct and the conversation also mentions the use of Wolfram Alpha and plotting the graph to check the work. The concept of complex roots being in pairs and the requirement to stay within the real numbers is also mentioned.
Uniquebum

Homework Statement

Hey!

I don't really face a problem at the moment but i'd like someone to act as another brain for me. I've solved - hopefully right - a quartic equation and i get all the 4 roots out but 2 of them turn out to be complex numbers. Now, I'm fine with that but i'd also need to solve quartic inequality with the same polynomial. At the moment I'm not sure how i'd go about it with complex numbers so i'd love it if one of you checked the following and would confirm that the quartic really has complex roots.

[PLAIN]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5346/17817831.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, those roots are correct. You can always use Wolfram Alpha to check your work.

Alright, thanks alot.

Your derivation is correct and the quadratic factor has really complex roots. But do not worry, you have to stay within the real numbers. The quadratic factor never changes sign, as it does not have real roots. It is positive for every real x.

ehild

What part of this problem says "you have to stay within the real numbers"?

You could just plot the graph, by hand or using software. The number of times any graph crosses the x-axis equals the number of real roots.

Note that complex roots always occur in pairs, too.

Complex roots of polynomial equations with real coefficients always occurs in conjugate pairs.

1. What is a quartic equation?

A quartic equation is a polynomial equation of the fourth degree, meaning that it has a maximum of four terms and the highest exponent is four.

2. How can I determine if my quartic equation has complex roots?

You can determine if your quartic equation has complex roots by solving the equation using the quadratic formula and checking if the discriminant (b2 - 4ac) is negative. If it is negative, then the equation has complex roots.

3. What does it mean if my quartic equation has complex roots?

If your quartic equation has complex roots, it means that the solutions to the equation involve complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component. In other words, the roots of the equation cannot be expressed as real numbers.

4. Can a quartic equation have both real and complex roots?

Yes, a quartic equation can have both real and complex roots. In fact, a quartic equation can have a maximum of four roots, which can be a combination of real and complex numbers.

5. How can I graph a quartic equation with complex roots?

You can graph a quartic equation with complex roots by plotting the real and imaginary parts of the roots on a complex plane. The real part will be represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. This will result in a graph with four points in the complex plane.