Does QM allow for a photon to travel at 800,000 km/s?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a photon existing at two different points in space at two different times, the limitations of non-relativistic quantum mechanics and the concept of observability in principle. The question of whether it is meaningful to ask about unobservable phenomena is also brought up and the need for philosophical analysis is emphasized.
gamow99
I realize this type of question has been asked elsewhere on competitor websites but I want to make it more precise. Usually, the person asks if anything in QM is possible to which the answer is no, for example, a photon cannot have spin 0, hence some things in QM are impossible. But what about a photon existing at point A at second 1 and then at point B which is 800,000 km distant at second 2? Is there a non-zero probability of that happening?
Or let's even make the question more broad: for any distance is there a non-zero probability of a photon being at that distance one second from now?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, given any two points and any two times, how does one tell they are the same photon? Last I checked these things aren't labeled.

Likes ModusPwnd
Of course, it is the case that this is not experimentally verifiable, but is there anything in the equations of QM that prohibit this?

gamow99 said:
I realize this type of question has been asked elsewhere on competitor websites but I want to make it more precise.

Then do so. Are you talking about relativistic QM, non-relativistic QM, or QFT?

gamow99 said:
But what about a photon existing at point A at second 1 and then at point B which is 800,000 km distant at second 2? Is there a non-zero probability of that happening?
It is not clear what you are asking. If you are talking about fluctuation in the photon field ? Maybe this will help you.

You cannot talk about photons in non-relativistic QM. I'm not aware of a working interpretation of relativistic QM. Thus I'd rather stick to relativistic QFT. The very successful Standard Model of elementary-particle physics is based on local, microcausal relativistic QFT, and within such a theory by construction nothing causal can travel with faster than the speed of light. Formally that's worked into the theory by demanding that local observables commute at space-like separated arguments.

Likes NFuller
gamow99 said:
Of course, it is the case that this is not experimentally verifiable, but is there anything in the equations of QM that prohibit this?

I find such statements mystifying. The are many things unmeasurable for practical reasons but observable in principle about which question may be asked. Your question strikes me as possibly being unobservable in principle. If this were the case, isn't it then a meaningless question?

Actually, I did not realize that the speed of light is a constant. So let me rephrase the question. Is there a probability of every atom in my body suddenly traveling at 99% the speed of light in a straight line for, say, a minute?As for:

Paul Colby said:
Your question strikes me as possibly being unobservable in principle. If this were the case, isn't it then a meaningless question?

This is a question for philosophy, in particular, conceptual analysis. In order to come up with a plausible answer to this solution we have to have some sort of calculus which can reliably calculate the truth-value of sentences which contain very hard to understand words such as 'observable', and 'meaningless'. We do not have that calculus now so we won't argue about it. I want to encourage you as a scientist to ask yourself how do you determine the truth-value of that sentence since it is not the sort of thing that can be measured, observed or calculated? I think you'll find that at present there are no available methods. It is here that we need to turn to philosophy for at least a grip on the question since it is philosophers who have done the most work on them.

And on that note...
This thread is closed.

Likes Asymptotic, vanhees71 and Paul Colby

1. What is QM and how does it relate to photon travel speed?

QM stands for quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. According to QM, the speed of a photon can vary depending on its energy and medium it is traveling through.

2. Is it possible for a photon to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe. Therefore, it is not possible for a photon to travel at 800,000 km/s, which is faster than the speed of light (299,792 km/s).

3. Can the speed of a photon be slowed down or speeded up?

Yes, the speed of a photon can be affected by the medium it is traveling through. In a vacuum, the speed of light is constant at 299,792 km/s. However, in other materials such as water or glass, the speed of light can be significantly slower.

4. How does the speed of a photon affect its behavior?

The speed of a photon is directly related to its energy and wavelength. Higher energy photons, such as gamma rays, have shorter wavelengths and therefore travel at higher speeds. This is also why light appears to bend when passing through different materials, as the speed of light changes depending on the medium.

5. Are there any exceptions to the speed limit for photons?

There are theories that suggest the existence of particles called tachyons, which could theoretically travel faster than the speed of light. However, there is currently no evidence for the existence of tachyons and it goes against our current understanding of physics. Therefore, the speed of light remains the ultimate speed limit in the universe.