Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Shape Determine Frequency?

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    Can intense harmonic vibrations cause an object to change shape to match the source or take that shape if it is plastic?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Can you be a little more specific? What kind of object? What kind of shape?

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    in a general way yes....Have you seen BIG Bang theory program where the guys place flour and water in a container subject to acoustic vibrations.....

but as already implied in the above post, different conditions mean different results.

I checked here just to see the definition of "plastic".....LOTS of different formulations as I suspected.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic

5. Jan 16, 2012 #4
    Such as a rectangular quartz crystal oscillator. Other shapes too of the same material.

By an object I mean something liquid that will also crystallize like liquid that can crystallize. I'm not sure if liquid crystal inside of lcds count. Even a metal object could be it if it were subject to the vibrations.

If this wouldn't work with harmonic vibrations would intense electromagnetic vibrations of a single frequency have this effect on matter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook