Frequency to temporal period conversion

In summary, the speaker is working with signals in both frequency and time domain and is trying to calculate the ratio between the free spectral range (FSR) and the full width at half maximum (FWHM). However, when converting between domains, the calculated ratios do not match. The discrepancy is due to the fact that the FWHM in one domain corresponds to the FSR in the other domain, and vice versa. In order to get the correct ratio, the calculation must be inverted in the time domain instead of the frequency domain.
roam
I am working with signals that look like the following. The curve has the same form in both frequency and time domain.

I am trying to calculate the ratio of two distances:
The distance between two adjacent red "x"s (known as the free spectral range (FSR)).
The distance between two adjacent green "x"s (FWHM of the dips).

For the simulation above I get ##\text{FSR} = 2.05 \times 10^6 Hz##, and ##\text{FWHM} = 6.6 \times 10^4 Hz##. So a calculation in frequency domain gives the correct answer:

$$2.05 \times 10^6 / 6.6 \times 10^4 = 30.6,$$

whereas with conversion to time domain I get:

$$(1/2.05 \times 10^6) / (1/ 6.6 \times 10^4) = 0.0326.$$

Note that FWHM of a curve must be smaller than FSR in both time and frequency domain. But when I take the inverse of these values (i.e., shift to time domain), FWHM appears to be larger than FSR!

Here is an actual time domain measurement. As one can see, it has the same general shape as it would in the frequency domain:

Again, if I calculate the ratio in time domain I get the right answer, but conversion to frequency domain does not give the right answer. Why is that?

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Attachments

• calculation1.png
    calculation1.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 228
Physics news on Phys.org
1/30.6=0.0326

roam said:
Note that FWHM of a curve must be smaller than FSR in both time and frequency domain.
That is sort of true. If you were considering a single domain then yes. But the FWHM in the frequency domain corresponds to something with a long time in the time domain, and he FSR in the frequency domain corresponds to something with a very small time in the time domain.

So the thing that corresponds to the FSR in one domain corresponds to the FWHM in the other domain. That is why you need to invert your calculation in the time domain

Likes roam

1. What is frequency to temporal period conversion?

Frequency to temporal period conversion is the process of converting a frequency value, which represents the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time, into a temporal period, which represents the time it takes for one complete cycle of the event to occur.

2. Why is frequency to temporal period conversion important?

Frequency to temporal period conversion is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the timing and rhythm of events that occur at a specific frequency. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

3. How is frequency to temporal period conversion calculated?

The formula for frequency to temporal period conversion is: Temporal Period = 1 / Frequency. This means that to convert a frequency value to a temporal period, you simply divide 1 by the frequency value. The resulting value will be in units of time, such as seconds, milliseconds, or hertz.

4. Can frequency to temporal period conversion be used for any type of frequency?

Yes, frequency to temporal period conversion can be used for any type of frequency, whether it is a simple repeating event or a complex waveform. As long as the frequency value is known, it can be converted into a temporal period.

5. Are there any limitations to frequency to temporal period conversion?

One limitation of frequency to temporal period conversion is that it assumes a constant frequency. In reality, frequencies can change over time, which may affect the accuracy of the conversion. Additionally, this conversion is only applicable for events that have a defined frequency, and cannot be used for events that do not have a repeating pattern.