Does space (distance) between two bodies contract according to SR?

In summary, the distance between a spaceship and a star will undergo length contraction when traveling at 90% the speed of light. This can be seen by laying out a set of rulers and observing the gaps between them shrinking. However, this effect is only apparent in a frame where the observer is moving. In a stationary frame, there is no length contraction. Additionally, time dilation also occurs, causing a difference in elapsed time between the two frames. This is known as the Twin Paradox and can be explained by Lorentz transforms.
Trojan666ru
Suppose if travel towards the nearest star (alpha centauri) 4 light years away at 90% the speed of light does the distance between my spaceship and the star undergo length contraction?
but i think in Wikipedia it its written as the distance undergo length contraction
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox
read the "Specific example" topic in it

Physics news on Phys.org
Trojan666ru said:
Suppose if travel towards the nearest star (alpha centauri) 4 light years away at 90% the speed of light does the distance between my spaceship and the star undergo length contraction?
but i think in Wikipedia it its written as the distance undergo length contraction
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox
read the "Specific example" topic in it

Yes, distance length contracts. Lay down a set of rulers end to end in a line. Remove every other ruler. Now from the point of view of an observer moving along the line, the gaps between the rulers length contract to the same extent as the rulers themselves.

if i haven't included the Wikipedia link u should have said "no" the distance won't shrink, only physical bodies undergo length contraction"

Then if an object moving towards me at 90% speed of light light from a distance of 1hr light c. Without length contraction i calculate it to be arriving at 1hr and 6 minutes on my clock, so when i include length contraction will it arrive more early?

Trojan666ru said:
Then if an object moving towards me at 90% speed of light light from a distance of 1hr light c. Without length contraction i calculate it to be arriving at 1hr and 6 minutes on my clock, so when i include length contraction will it arrive more early?

No, not if you use a frame in which you are at rest. Then there is no length contraction.

If you used the frame in which you are moving and the object is at rest, the distance would be length contracted, so the object would indeed arrive earlier than that (or rather you would arrive at the object earlier), but your clocks would also be running slow due to time dilation. The two effects cancel and so your clocks would read 1 hour and 6 minutes.

Trojan666ru said:

You measure the distance to be 1 light hour and the time of travel to be ≈ 1 hour 6 minutes.

They measure the distance to be ≈ 26 light minutes and the time of travel to be ≈ 29 minutes.

You both calculate the velocity using your own measurements of distance and time to be 0.9c.

Hey Trojan 666...the trick is this...time dilation and length contraction is due to relative motion...in special relativity, flat spacetime [no gravity].

So anything traveling in your frame, with you, is 'stationary' relative to you: that means a clock you carry, for example, always ticks at it's same fixed rate [called proper time] and you do not contract in size along the direction of motion. But the other outside observer, in motion relative to you, sees your clock slow and your size diminish along the direction of motion.

So when you move really fast on your way to Alpha Centauri, that distance is in another reference frame...right??...your local wrist watch time ticks along as usual but the distance you travel is reduced. From an observer on Alpha Centauri, the distance remains unchanged [since it is in the static frame of that observer] but she sees your clock ticking more slowly...when you meet up and compare elapsed times, voila they don't agree...she thinks your elapsed local time is less than her local time. YOU have aged less than she.

You each 'disagree' on the elapsed time and distance traveled...and you are both right.
Different observers resolve these 'paradoxes' via Lorentz transforms which explain the differences.

Trojan666:

if i haven't included the Wikipedia link u should have said "no" the distance won't shrink, only physical bodies undergo length contraction"

Can you now answer this correctly on your own??

1. What is SR and how does it relate to the contraction of space between two bodies?

SR stands for Special Relativity, which is a theory developed by Albert Einstein to explain the behavior of objects in motion. According to SR, the space between two bodies does contract as the bodies approach the speed of light.

2. Is the contraction of space between two bodies a proven phenomenon?

Yes, the contraction of space between two bodies is a proven phenomenon and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. It is a fundamental aspect of Special Relativity and is supported by a vast amount of evidence.

3. Does the amount of contraction depend on the distance between the two bodies?

No, the amount of contraction does not depend on the distance between the two bodies. According to SR, the amount of contraction is determined by the relative velocity of the bodies. As the velocity increases, the amount of contraction also increases.

4. Can the contraction of space between two bodies be observed in everyday life?

No, the contraction of space between two bodies is only noticeable at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday life, the effects of this contraction are too small to be observed without the use of highly precise instruments.

5. Does the contraction of space between two bodies have any practical applications?

Yes, the contraction of space between two bodies has several practical applications, particularly in the field of particle accelerators. By taking into account the contraction of space, scientists are able to accurately predict the behavior of particles at high speeds and design more efficient and effective particle accelerators.