Does space expansion theory obey relativity laws?

In summary, space expansion theory obeys relativity laws. It does not violate the principles of special relativity, and it is in agreement with general relativity.
azzkika
Does space expansion theory obey relativity laws??

I've been wondering about the idea of space expansion that's been used to explain red shift effects in most of our universe, which forgive me if i am wrong is nothing(space) propelling matter.

Please could someone tell me if i am misunderstanding space expansion and give a correct explanation of it for me.

Or if i have understood it correctly, surely it goes against relativistic principals?

Physics news on Phys.org

What you call space expansion, which I find an inaccurate and confusing phrase, is in full agreement with general relativity. And in the absence of a cosmological constant it is also locally in agreement with special relativity.

I think the really inaccurate phrase is "propelling". Azzikika, you shouldn't think of it as space moving matter. It's more accurate to think of it as matter staying in the same place (at approximately constant spatial coordinates) while space grows. I'm not sure why Jennifer doesn't like the term "space expansion", but I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fact that GR is a theory about spacetime, not space, and spacetime doesn't change. It just "is".

Fredrik said:
I think the really inaccurate phrase is "propelling". Azzikika, you shouldn't think of it as space moving matter. It's more accurate to think of it as matter staying in the same place (at approximately constant spatial coordinates) while space grows. I'm not sure why Jennifer doesn't like the term "space expansion", but I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fact that GR is a theory about spacetime, not space, and spacetime doesn't change. It just "is".

but if 'space grows', as it were, then 2 separate objects are moving relative to each other in this process, with no causal force. i personally cannot get my head around this concept.

i probably need to learn a lot more, but for now i choose to believe the motion is caused by a substantive force, probably massive external gravity beyond our current horizons. i think space expansion is a result, not a cause of whatever is occurring in our universe.

i also thought that gravity distorts space time, thus it isn't constant.

Last edited:

1. What is space expansion theory?

Space expansion theory, also known as the Big Bang theory, is the scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since, resulting in the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets.

2. How does space expansion theory relate to relativity laws?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, space and time are intertwined and can be affected by the presence of mass and energy. Space expansion theory is consistent with this idea, as it explains the expansion of the universe through the concept of space-time curvature.

3. Can space expansion theory violate relativity laws?

No, space expansion theory does not violate relativity laws. It is a fundamental principle of physics that the laws of nature are consistent and universal. Space expansion theory is consistent with the laws of relativity and has been supported by numerous observations and experiments.

4. Are there any contradictions between space expansion theory and relativity laws?

No, there are no known contradictions between space expansion theory and relativity laws. In fact, Einstein himself proposed the idea of a static universe, which was later disproved by the discovery of the expansion of the universe. The theory of relativity and space expansion theory have been successfully integrated to explain the universe's behavior.

5. How can we test the validity of space expansion theory in relation to relativity laws?

Scientists use a variety of methods to test the validity of space expansion theory in relation to relativity laws. These include observing the cosmic microwave background radiation, measuring the expansion rate of the universe, and studying the distribution of matter in the universe. So far, all of these tests have confirmed the validity of both theories.